Is it better to privilege the IDE or the PID?

Ernest49

With 2 fellow hunters, I was out all night, observing with the Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50, from the speeding car, until the batteries ran out .... Obviously it could be seen very well: we saw over 50 hares, 3 large foxes, many coypu (which you call small beavers); curly; mice; herons; egrets; cats; also 2 pheasants who slept in the trees to save themselves from foxes. With the minimum optical magnification of 2X the immediate detection (IDE) was great even from the car in motion ... truly fantastic even up to a mile away. When we detected a possible hare at a great distance .... the PID problem arose ... Was it a medium-sized hare or a large coypu? Using digital zoom up to 16X ... the image was grainy and PID impeded. On the other hand, with the Infiray E6 Pro V3.0 which has a minimum magnification of 3X .... the IDE in motion is more difficult, but the PID becomes easier.
In short, you can't have it all ...
With the large FOV and with a minimum 2X magnification you are very much at an advantage in the IDE even in fast motion, but the PID at a great distance becomes difficult. On the other hand, with minimum 3X magnification and narrow FOV you have difficulty in the IDE in motion, but then you are at an advantage in the PID.
What do you guys think? Is it better to privilege the IDE or the PID?

Last edited:
Ernest, I think the separation is between just scanning to see something and shooting to take the quarry. You need to scan a larger swath of land for location of the quarry. PID is not so important at that point, but when you go to the weapon, FOV isn't as important as PID. As you know already the PIP mode allows somewhat of a continue larger FOV for the shot, while maintaining a larger view of the quarry and hopefully more precise PID and aiming.

Yes, agree fully with Korey's post below. I have the habit of thinking only in terms of coyote hunting especially since we don't have hogs here (thankfully).

Last edited:
I would say IDE for scanning and PID for shooting in general but this is more for what coyote hunters are using it for. However, some hog hunters are the opposite. The want to scan from a long distance and don't want to go on a long walk for the wrong animal. Then once they get close, they may be shooting at a large group of hogs. In that scenario, the roles are reversed as the shooter may need a wide FOV to shoot hogs that are running in all directions as quickly as possible.

Back