Mousing Around

Kirsch

I recorded some hunting video last night with the Super Yoter. I will post another stand soon where I shot a triple. This coyote was the kind of coyote every hunter dreams of. It was out catching mice, and slowly worked towards me. Before anyone asks, I zoomed to 2x (6x total) to take the shot, and yes the coyote could have been focused better. The last time I adjusted focus was at 390 yards. The image would have blown everyone away if I had taken the time to focus, but my attention was elsewhere.

Awesome video Kirsch. The SY sure does a nice job when its zoomed out. Better than my SH I believe. Great shot as usual to boot !

What is the base magnification of the SY as compared to the SH?

Just curious - what video editing program do you use?

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Awesome video Kirsch. The SY sure does a nice job when its zoomed out. Better than my SH I believe. Great shot as usual to boot ! Thanks. I would hope so at $1,400 more. Yes, it handles digital zoom much better.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...What is the base magnification of the SY as compared to the SH? 3.0 so about the same. Honestly, the SH at 2.9x seems to have a slightly bigger image, but I believe it is an optical illusion because of the smaller FOV. The FOV of the SY is 1° larger and it is noticeable.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Just curious - what video editing program do you use?I use a piece of software called Pinnacle Studio. I would call it a medium-advanced video editor. It can do a lot but can be a bit complicated. I am adding the gun shots, and any audio you hear with the program as the SY does not record audio just like the SH does not.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpBeautiful, but tormenting! Your wait shouldn't be too much longer. I am anxiously waiting for the release of these scopes as well.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06Nice video. Focus wasn’t bad at all. Thank you. I've had some comments in the past asking if I had focused after zooming, so just wanted to let people know I hadn't. Any slight imperfections of focus on base magnification are amplified when digitally zooming. In hindsight, I should have taken the time as this coyote was approaching so steady, but I got locked into hunting-mode vs filming-mode.

Originally Posted By: weekenderNow if I was loaded with jack, I would...., well, never mind. Well, the SY is a lot less "jack" than most when it comes to 640, 12µm scopes.

Beautiful video Korey! Which leaves you in suspense when the coyote disappears for a moment in the valley...

Super Hogster:
384x288@12 micron
minimum magnification 2.9X FOV 7.53°x5.65°

Super Yoter:
640x480@12 micron
minimum magnification 3X
FOV 8.78°x6.59°

So SY has a FOV greater than 1.25°x0.94°
I confirm that the impression of lower magnification should only be an optical effect due to the larger FOV.
I also noticed this with the Infiray E6 Pro V3.0 thermal scanner, which has the same FOV as SY and the same 3X minimum magnification ... Setting the Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50's zoom to 3X ... the FOV is reduced to 8.30°x6.23° (slightly lower than the FOV of the Infiray E6 Pro V3.0), the image on the Infiray looked slightly smaller .. but it was only optical effect of the slightly larger FOV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ernest49Beautiful video Korey! Which leaves you in suspense when the coyote disappears for a moment in the valley... I had little doubt this coyote was coming to my call. He just decided to try and eat a mouse or two along the way.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49bSo SY has a FOV greater than 1.25°x0.94°
I confirm that the impression of lower magnification should only be an optical effect due to the larger FOV.
I also noticed this with the Infiray E6 Pro V3.0 thermal scanner, which has the same FOV as SY and the same 3X minimum magnification ... Setting the Pulsar Thermion 2 XP50's zoom to 3X ... the FOV is reduced to 8.30°x6.23° (slightly lower than the FOV of the Infiray E6 Pro V3.0), the image on the Infiray looked slightly smaller .. but it was only optical effect of the slightly larger FOV. Agree 100%. A little more than 1° extra FOV doesn't seem like a lot but it does make a difference.

.... we could almost establish a small rule of thumb ... with the same magnification, a slightly larger FOV causes, as an optical effect, the impression of having a slightly smaller magnification ...

Last edited:
Back