Pay attention to the birds..

Jim Byers

On my way to elk camp I decided to squeeze in a stand. It was mid morning and the thermals had switched up for the day. I set up with sun at my back. Less than ideal set up with a blind draw coming up under me but you make do with what you got.

At 24 minutes I noticed magpies working up the draw and then began squawking 50 yd to my downwind side. Looking closely I noticed a coyote's head through the tall grass. It was attempting to catch my wind which it's soon did. As it began a hasty retreat I let one fly. Quickly lost sight of it so I never saw it go down. I switched things up and 3 minutes later this female appeared across the draw at the top of the ridge at 198 yards out. One shot and she was finished. ][/url]

Good pic and shooting. My favorite is watching pheasants fly out of the corn fields ahead of the coyotes coming to the call.

I’ve heard folks say that every coyote has a magpie....we don’t have magpies in my neck of the woods but I’ve never called one in where a crow didn’t show up first. Good work!

Unfortunately, we don't have magpies or crows down here. Mocking birds and greenjays often alert vocally, but not nearly as reliable. Cara Cara and hawks on carcasses will always alert to approaching coyotes and cattle or wildlife do as well.

Being aware of your surroundings pays dividends in the brush or on the street.

Regards,
hm

I've had a few mallard ducks that kept flying over in a clearing raising heck and it kept me on stand long enough to kill a bobcat. Whether they saw it or just heard the distress sounds coming from the speaker and it freaked them out. Either way they helped me out.

I've also had prairie dogs chirp (which is what they do when they see a predator) and knew that a coyote was on its way. I've had that happen more than a few times. It helps to learn the language of all kinds of animals because they can help you out if you pay attention. It can be deceiving though because they may be alerting other creatures of danger because they hear a distress sound from another.

Speaking of birds, one ranch I hunt near the coast adjoins a huge garbage dump. Figured coyotes would hang out around the dump so set up on nearby fenceline. Would have probably worked if it had not been for the hundreds of squawking seagulls drowning out the call. Did a lot more good on opposite side of ranch.
smile.gif

Regards,
hm

Nice Shooting.....Beautiful Scenery!

I've used a Crow Call several times and called in a large group of Crows,then had a Coyote come in thinking they were feeding on a dead animal and ended up shooting the Coyote thanks to the Crows.

I've also had Squirrels run up a tree when a Predator came in and started flicking thier tail and warning the other Squirrels and drawing my attention to a Coyote and an occasional Bobcat.

Back