6 mil question.

Tjkiller

Will a 58gr vmax shoot accurately fro. A 22in 1:8 barrel? 6mm creedmoor. Seems a lil quick for a light bullet. Thanks!

I've shot 1/2 MOA 5 shot group with 55gr Nosler Varmageddons from my AR10 6mm creedmoor with 22" barrel with 1:8 twist. I was using Benchmarch powder after trying several other powders without as good of results. The only way to know is to test some different combinations in your gun to see what it likes. I do think light for caliber bullets at high velocities in fast twist barrels can be more difficult to find an accurate load. Good luck.

I'm still trying to decide on what my primary bullet for my 6mm Creedmoor AR10 will be. I've shot 55gr Nosler Varmageddons, 70 Nosler ballistic tips, 80 gr ballistic tips, 87gr V max and 115 gr bergers. All of them will kill a coyote just fine and I'm not too concerned about big holes in some of the hides. Initially I really wanted to shoot the 87gr Vmax because I wanted a varmint bullet that would also be a great long range bullet for coyote. The only problem is I haven't found a combination in my gun that consistently shoots the 87gr Vmax better than 1 MOA. I may just settle on the 55gr Varmageddons for this year. I often don't shoot at coyotes beyond 200 yards and haven't attempted more than 400+ yards on a coyote in about 3 years. The extra BC with less wind drift from a heavier bullet is only going to provide an advantage for the longer shots that I'm not likely to attempt anyway.

Brian I love the 87 Vmax in my 243 wssm, but my 243 Win shoots the 87 bthp Hdy much better, crazy good actually. Just one season under their belt and did lose one poorly hit coyote and blew one gut shot one but the rest were in good shape. 425 yd heart shot did not expand much but the coyote circled about 10 yds and laid down. They are not as good a bc and it is noticeable but the accuracy makes up for it.

I shoot 58gr vmax out of my 6mm. Out to 400yds you don’t need to worry about bc a lot. I’ve shot many yotes out to 450yds and so long the Gun shoots tight groups and you do your part there won’t be issues out to 400. For my 223 I shoot 50gr vmax and will take yotes at 400yds. Know your limitations. High winds don’t make long shots hit the spot very well. 200yds or less, wind at any speed will not make you miss a yote standing there. I’ve shot in 40-50 mph Cross winds and have killed coyotes. They might not hit the 10 spot but will hit the target (yote). Fragment bullets are awesome.

Find the combo that shoots good and practice as much as you can. In high winds limit yourself to what you feel you can hit/kill cleanly.

I’d rather shoot a combo that is light and 1/2” group than a heavy combo shoots a 2” group. The gun did its part at that point. The skill of shot placement and human error is only to blame.

Back