Another Desert find

AWS

Retired PM Staff
My rellic hunting friend(desert scrounging) brought me a round today that I'm surprised to see. A WRA 280 Ross brass found near Dripping Springs NM.

Back out for a hike this morning. With the rain lately things are siting proud on the desert floor.

First find appears to be an unused flint for a flintlock knapped from agate. I shoot 3 different flintlocks so really looks like some I've bought.

Second find is really interesting the headstamp is worn to nearly gone and it is a little dented but pretty intact. I thought when I picked it up it was a 50-70 Govt but when I got home the length was too long. I pulled out my cartridge book and it turns out to be a 50-70 Gatling.

Everywhere I've live you don't find things like you do.here, forest leaves and grasses.cover everything and you need a metal detector. Here each heavy rain reveals old treasures.

Last edited:
Those pesky Apaches! I remember it well, seems like only yesterday. It was the winter of 1877...

Originally Posted By: centerfire_223AWS, what part of NM you live in? I've just moved to Hobbs this summer.

AWS is a couple hundred miles west of you. Send him a message and I’m sure he would respond. He probably hasn’t seen your question. I’ve been living in El Paso the last 8 years and mostly hunt southern NM. In the last 12 months I’ve called coyotes in NM, TX, AZ, CO, WY and Idaho. I may add UT and MT to the list in October if I have time.

Back