How hot is too hot for desert coyote hunting?

BJJ223

I'm thinking about heading out to the high desert for a coyote hunt tomorrow morning.

At 3:00am it will be 80 degrees. I figured I would start hunting at 3:00am and go until 9:00am when the temperatures start to rise into the mid 80s.

Am I wasting my time? Will coyotes be reluctant to come to the call due to the heat?

Last edited:
I've called in coyotes in 110°+ temps though far a few between. The hotter the temps the less likely they will want to cover vast distances in my opinion. After calling year round for several years I wised up and decided if its not at least 70 or less, it's to hot for me not necessarily the coyotes.

I agree, less than 70 degrees seems to be more productive for calling for me. Less than 50 degrees seems even better. Winter afternoons that are 80+ degrees are often unproductive for me. I have called coyotes in August in the middle of the day when it is hot but most coyotes seem uninterested in traveling long distances to a call when it is hot outside.

I went. Did not call anything in. At 3:30am, walking to my stand, I walked up about 5’ from a rattlesnake. He was coiled and did not rattle. Those things sure do blend in with the dirt! I always wear snake boots.

Last edited:
My hearing damage is enough that I'm tone deaf to their rattle. Have walked by a few that buzzed but never heard them.

Originally Posted By: crapshootMy hearing damage is enough that I'm tone deaf to their rattle. Have walked by a few that buzzed but never heard them.

If you were half awake at 3:30, I’m sure that woke you up better than any caffeine. Even though the drive to go coyote hunting is more of a risk to my physical health statically, snakes still make me jumpy when one surprises me.

Back