OSS Helix review

BrianID

I'm putting this review up to help anyone else that was considering the OSS Helix as an option. I purchased OSS Helix QD 762 and OSS Helix QD 762 Ti. I have had them for a few months and I'm very happy with then so far. I've used them in 5 guns so far (AR15 5.56 with 16" barrel, AR15 223 wylde with 22" barrel, AR15 300 blackout pistol with 10" barrel, AR15 300 blackout with 16" barrel and AR10 6mm Creedmoor with 22" barrel). I will soon test the 762 Ti on a 300 win mag.

I already have a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in 6.5 cal and Thunderbeast Ultra 9 in 338 cal that I've been using for about 2 years. I'm very happy with the Tunderbeast Ultras but was looking for something with less "blowback" on an AR gas system. There is without a doubt less blowback from the OSS than the thunderbeast on my AR's.

With the exception of subsonic 300 blackout rounds I still use hearing protection while target practicing with all my suppressors. From what I've noticed, the OSS and Thunderbeast are equally quite. The Helix does have extra area for gas to escape on the downrange side of the suppressor so I wouldn't be surprised if the Helix causes more noise than the thunderbeast downrange.

The Helix and Thunderbeast don't seem to have any significant impact on accuracy on any of my guns. I've shot repeatable 1/2 MOA 5 shot groups with both the Helix and thunderbeast suppressors.

I do prefer the quick detachment on the OSS over the thunderbeast because the OSS screws on counterclockwise. I do have a concern that on my 300 win mag smaller break on the OSS Helix will not reduced recoil as much as the larger break on the 338 thunderbeast ultra 9.

I hope this review will help someone that is considering the OSS Helix. If I have any significant new information that I think will be useful for anyone considering the OSS Helix I will post an update in the future.

Less blowback on ARs is the reason I purchased the OSS suppressors. Brass comes out less dirty and my ARs cycle about the same without the OSS suppressors on as they do with the OSS. On of my ARs I turned the gas block down when I had the thunderbeast supressor on it may actually need the gas block turned back up now that I have the OSS on it. I did have it fail to cycle about 3 weeks ago due to not enough gas with a lighter 223 load. After cleaning the bolt carrier group it has shot close to 100 rounds of that lighter ammunition without any failures to cycle but it may still be a little under gassed. If it fails to cycle or catch on an empty magazine again, I’ll probably end up turning up the gas block a little.

Back