22 Nosler Mags + other things

arlaunch

I have been on the fence, talked myself in and out of this round 200 times. Now.... I just can't seem to shake it.

What mags do you guys own? Any mag related malfunctions?

I have been thinking a 24 inch with a +2 gas system. Thoughts on that?

I have heard low mass bolt carrier group is the way to go with the gas turned down.

I may try that after trying a Tubbs spring and a rifle length buffer system first.

I use ASC Grendel mags an all my 6.8 variants as they handle the 6.8 cases fine and allow you to load a tad longer at 3.14 nominal.

I don't personally see where the 2+ would gain me anything and the low mass carrier will not benefit me. I can say that the Nosler will bend rims in the right cartridge lot and I would rather turn down the gas on a regular carrier than the LW version.

Greg

I went back and forth a while myself but glad I gave it a chance. Mine is a 24 inch rifle length. I started with a loose fitting 6.8 mag. That came with a savage I had. It would pick up the first round, miss the small rim, catch the fat part of the case and jam it into the feed ramps. I have 3 stoner mags that fit tighter and cycled flawlessly ever since. I run Tubbs flat wire buffer springs regardless. I have 00 brass damage at 3630 with 50 grain v max and CFE223. 55 grain I have no damage at 3500. Above that and it has a little ejector swipe. A pocket knife will take a little bur off if it needs it. I bought it to shoot lite flat shooting bullets anyway.

DM 63,

Which barrel maker did you go with? And what twist rate? How for are you jumping to the lands with the 55 grain Vmax? At what COAL?

I went with White Oak in 8 twist. A 3/8th 3 shot group at 100 is the norm. I load 50 grain Vmax, 52 grain ELDM and 55 grain Vmax at 2.26 COAL. Averaging .5 to .7 below max powder charge and getting velocity I'm good with. I have not checked the throat depth.

Back