pmr 30

Just picked up a Kel tec pmr 30. Finally found one on sale. Im thinking it will be a good little truck gun and something light to pack in the woods if I dont feel like carrying a rifle. Who has one and what are the likes and dislikes? Found some CCI maxi mag 40s for it at midway. Waiting on the ammo to run a few rounds through it. My first dive into 22 wmr.

I've had one for years they're a very fun little gun but boy howdy can you burn through the ammo in them. I don't load my magazines over 27rnds and they'll run flawless like that but put 30 in them and the first 2-3 will have hiccups. Also, wear good ear protection because they are LOUD!

I always suggest taking those two little screws out that hold the front sight in place and cleaning both thread surfaces with brake cleaner then blue loctite them back in place. They have a way of coming loose and one minute your front site will be there and the next it'll be gone. Also I'd put a drop of clue on the rear sight rods because they have a way of working themselves out also.

There's an aftermarket company called MCARBO that makes different parts and pieces for the PMR/CMR 30. I bought their all in one kit a few months ago but it's still sitting on my bench in the bag because I haven't installed any of it yet but it's supposed to make these things run even better, even with full 30rnd mags.

They're kind of a funny looking thing and they probably won't win any beauty contests but mine has been a lot of fun to shoot and it's pretty darn accurate. Of everything we have it's my wife's favorite gun to shoot. She likes that it has a big bang but has extremely low recoil. I can't hardly load the mags fast enough for her when she's shooting it.

I had a bud that bought one. It never would function worth squat. He sent it back to the factory and it came back and still choked with regularity. This guy is a gun guy and understands how to make a gun run but trying all sorts of remedies and the factory warranty trip and he still wouldn't get through a magazine without the gun jamming at least once. I really liked the concept and thought I would buy one but after his experience I decided to hold off. Still waiting.

Thats what I have been reading on the ammo. I am also looking at the Mcarbo kit. They said on youtube with enough interest that Kel Tec would build a version with all the upgrades. I guess you can send your gun back to Kel Tec with the Mcarbo kit and they will install it for you. I will check on the sights. The ammo I was lucky enough to find is recommended in the manual. Its not much of a looker but hopefully it puts out being a magnum and the hi-cap. Thats the main reason I wanted it. I have a problem with all my pretty pew pews being safe queens. I am ashamed but I have to tell the truth.

I had one. Sent it back to the factory, still jammed after every few rounds. Finally traded it off to my son and he quickly banished it from the family. Good luck with yours!

Feeding, more often than not, is related to the mags not sitting high enough up in the mag well. Among the different parts MCARBO sells for the PMR30 is a different mag release that makes the magazines sit higher up in the mag well. It's a relatively inexpensive piece something like $30.

As I mentioned before, if I keep my mags loaded to no more than 27rnds it'll run without any problems and pretty much all I've shot through mine is the 30gr Vmax ammo, mostly, because I have so much of it.

KelTec recommends against it but I'd still like to get a threaded barrel for mine and shoot it suppressed but finding a threaded barrel for these things isn't easy.

I own one and am very happy with it. After watching some videos. I bought some silicone spray.
After the first box, I had no malfunctions. This worked for me.

I have one, zero malfunctions in maybe 300 rounds. I've never field stripped it, just sprayed it out twice and light lube. I've got a pile of "upgrade" parts from MCARBO but haven't even bothered because mine functions flawless from the factory. It's on my hip nearly every time i step into the woods, very fun gun. If i don't kill a rabbit i at least do 28 rounds of practice shooting. Yes, i load mine to 28 and not 30, think it helps the mags feed better.

Back