Bolt release

pyscodog

I have to use a pop sickle stick to remove the bolt from my XP-100 action. I'd like to get one milled into the action similar to a Sako or Tikka release. Who do I call?

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have to use a pop sickle stick to remove the bolt from my XP-100 action. I'd like to get one milled into the action similar to a Sako or Tikka release. Who do I call?

If the Rem XP100 action is anything like its bigger brother the Rem 700 I'd think just about any competent gunsmith with a mill could install a side bolt release.

Give Karl Kampfeld (Kampfeld Customs) a call. Karl is a great guy, very honest, and will be fair with you on price. I've had Karl do a lot of different actions and bolts for me over the years and he is awesome to work with. Give him a call and then you'll know what all can be done.

http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/

I had the bolt handle replace and Accu-Tig did a great job and very fast as well. About the only thing left that I'd like to do is a nice looking bolt release. I'll give Karl a call, probably will wait till the weather get bad. A nice winter project. LOL, it will give me time to think of something else he might do.

Besides his work quality another of the things I really like about Karl is how fast he gets your stuff done. A few years ago I dropped a couple bolts off with him to flute. I spent a couple days up at our condo which wasn't to far from him. By the time I got back home Karl had finished fluting them and shipped them back to me. Like most good smiths I think his work load has picked up substantially but Karl still has some of the fastest turn around times of anyone I've dealt with and like I said before, he has always been very honest with me and extremely fair on price.

I looked on his site. His prices are very good I think. Problem now is when he does my bolt release I may have him flute the bolt as well. LOL, its only money!!

Just curious, WHY?? I understand it may be a bit more convenient, but I've been removing the bolts on my 600 and 660 Remington's for app. 50 years in a similar fashion, same receiver and dogleg bolt as the XP-100 and really never saw it as a problem.

Finishing touch's. Its got a Lilja barrel, Sako extractor, 6oz trigger, bed in a McMillan Game Warden stock. I had the bolt handle replaced and it has a polished SS trigger guard. A little late to stop now. And I don't have to carry around a pop sickle stick when I go to the range.

laugh.gif
Ok, got it, it's just because you want to!!!

He11, if "necessity" ever becomes a prerequisite to modifications done to a firearm, there will be a whole bunch of gunsmiths and aftermarket companies going out of business and we'll all be shooting boring factory made off the shelf guns. YUCK, no thank you. I'll just continue on wasting my hard earned money on crap I don't necessarily need.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: B23He11, if "necessity" ever becomes a prerequisite to modifications done to a firearm, there will be a whole bunch of gunsmiths and aftermarket companies going out of business and we'll all be shooting boring factory made off the shelf guns. YUCK, no thank you. I'll just continue on wasting my hard earned money on crap I don't necessarily need.
smile.gif

If need had anything to do with it we'd all be shooting one rifle. Its a sickness that started long ago and just gets worse.

If there is room for a popcicle stick why not just àdd an extension. I use my truck key, never thought to carry anything extra.

I can live with a pop sickle stick but why should I? For $100 I can get a really classy looking bolt release that is hassle free. I got a ton of money in the rifle already....why not make it just a little bit better. Heck I may flute the bolt while its there as well. Got no (live in) wife, kid is grown, just me, my cats and my guns these days. I deserve nice things. I worked my tail off for the money, may as well spend a little. LOL!!

I'm a firm believer in life is to short to own ugly guns. I have full customs and semi customs, I can't answer why but for some reason I keep flipping back and forth on which I like the "look" of better. Not sure what it is but I never met a Rem 700 I didn't like. The only CF rifles I have that are, relatively, untouched are a couple CZ 527's and a little Tikka 204 I recently purchased and I'm already looking for a different stock for that one.

I have some semi custom Rem 700's that I have way more in to than I'll ever admit and I think the only thing that is still Remington is the receiver.
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Karl is the man his work load was heavy last time he did excellent work but I had to wait in line. Waiting was well worth it! I would suggest you look over all the deferent options he offers and have it all done at 1 time going to be the same wait time either way. Call him he will give you a turn around time.He is worth the wait.I am getting ready to send in a couple bolts for him to do his magic on!

I'm in no hurry and don't mind waiting. Not like I have nothing else to shoot. I may wait till deer season is over before calling him.

Back