A different guy needs advice on building an AR

happypappy

I'm trying to build an accurate AR, I just need to shoot coyote within 500yds, usually 100-300. I don't need anything that goes well with my amazingly precise skills where I time my shots between heart beats because I can't do that, but I would like something moa or preferably sub moa just to have fun with buddies trying to outshoot each other on paper.
I saw that everyone was suggesting white oak for the barrel on the previous post by twehri89, I've got that written down and I think I have one picked out, but my problem is I also want a beautiful AR... on a budget. So far it's been hard trying to find websites that have cheapish but still pretty looking upper and lower parts. I know I could take my time and shop around, buying from different companies and picking out what suits my wants and needs, but I don't want to have a gun with one black anodized handguard, and a slightly different shade of black anodized lower receiver, and then another shade for the muzzle device. Any advice on where I should go? Will I even be able to tell the difference between colors? I have a milled out 80% lower which I would prefer to use, but if I need to I'll buy a completed one so colors match perfectly.
And then this is my first time building an AR, so any non-related advice someone wants to throw out for kicks and giggles, I'd love to hear it. (not about marriage or chess, keep it in the AR family please)

Also, it's going to be in 6.8 spc. Anyone shoot that accurately with 110gr v-max from hornady? What twist and barrel length do you have?

Last edited:
Think there is a 6.8 upper for sale in the classifieds. WOA 11 twist barrel. Seller is Good to Go. Some parts are hard to come by right now.

At 300 about anything will work. To consistently kill beyond that I'm moving to a AR 10 or bolt gun. Only thing that matters is a great barrel and trigger. Most of mine are assembled with BCA side charging uppers and Anderson lowers with quality barrels and triggers. I would rather have 3 accurate Ars than one assembled with overpriced parts that perform no better. I've tried many calibers but I keep migrating back to my 22" 22 Noslers. For night hunting the Ar10 in .243 is hard to get away from. White Oak is a very safe bet.

Last edited:
My favorite is the aero m4e1 enhanced upper set. It's beefed up around the barrel thread area. Comes with a barrel nut and wrench. Then put a hogue stock and matching grip. If you go with White Oak the enhanced handguard will fit over the manifold.

I would normally point you to another barrel company that would save you some money.
After looking at the classifieds I would advise you too look for the 6.8 upper from a seller in FL. That looks to be a great deal and he seems to be a stand up guy.

The 6.8 Upper is in fact mine... it has a WOA barrel and shoots the 120gr SST's very well.

In my opinion, I'm darn near giving it away at that price.

The 6.8 will have much better down range performance at distances you mentioned vs. the .223/5.56.

The upper color is a match to Spikes/Aero lowers, deep black kind of color. 18" mid-length gas means smooth shooter with mild recoil impulse.

I've built perhaps 300 AR's over the past 20+ years, I have about 45 of my own in various chamberings and configurations, so I'm simply moving things that see little to no use.

Being 2021 I’d start with ammo availability. 223/556 can achieve your goals all day. I haven’t seen 6.8 on shelves in a while. If you reload ignore comment.

Going to past 300 to 500 yards with an AR15. You may want an AR10.
If I was going to buy one now I would look at a Rock River.
I have an old Bushmaster 24in/5,56mm before they sold out.
It has an air-gauged barrel. Was not cheap.
That does 300 yards okay but not a good as my bolt rifles.
On low wind days, I shoot my 220 Swift. It is 3 inches low at 300 yards.
I move to my heavy barreled Remington 700/243win, 90 gr OP Laupa's with a tripod, on windy days.
Call Rock River and ask them.

If you are looking for a gun to kill coyotes and on a budget, a 223/5.56 is tough to beat. Ammunition and brass cost are one of the biggest expense in owning an AR and 223 ammunition can be found at a more reasonable price. With the exception of Eastern Coyotes that are around 50lbs, a 223 will offer enough power to kill any coyote at reasonable ranges(300 yards or less). I have a 22-250, a couple 6mm creedmoor and multiple larger calibers but most of the time pack one of my 223s for coyotes. Less recoil makes it easier for me to see what happens after I pull the trigger. I’ve killed hundreds of coyotes with a 223 and have never felt it was not enough gun. The 223 does start lacking power at longer ranges and wouldn’t recommend it for a guy who regularly shoots coyotes at 500 yards. The 223 also gets pushed more by the wind than larger calibers and I’ll often pack a bigger gun on winder days just to make the wind adjustment easier for longer shots.

If you want an AR15 for coyotes that would hit a little harder, I would go with a 22 Nosler or 243 WSSM over 6.8 but that is just my opinion. If you are willing to increase the cost and weight of the gun an AR10 platform would give you the option for other harder hitting cartridges such as 243 win, 6mm Creedmoor and 22 Creedmoor.

It is easy to buy or build an AR that will shoot 1 MOA. The barrel and quality optics are the places I would consider spending the most money on if you want an accurate AR on a budget. have a stock bushmaster AR15 in 5.56 that will shot 1 MOA with quality ammunition. I did put a different trigger in that bushmaster because once you use quality triggers it is easy to become a trigger snob and want quality triggers in all your guns. I built an AR 223 Wylde with a JP barrel that will consistently shoot 5 shots of quality ammunition in 1/2 MOA.

Last edited:
What degree of cheap are we looking about!! Suggest you find a copy of RRA catalog and study it for the info you are wanting!! They make very accurate rifles!!

My rra coyote carbine shoots sub moa. Bought it used for $700 a couple years ago. Maybe you can find a used one in good shape. I am sure they can be built cheaper but I am happy with what I got for the money. Shoots the 53 grain hornady superformance best.

Last edited:
"and I think I have one picked out, but my problem is I also want a beautiful AR... on a budget."

-That is doable but you will have to spend your time to shop around and buy used. There are no such things as cheap gun parts (if you want quality parts).

"I know I could take my time and shop around, buying from different companies and picking out what suits my wants and needs, but I don't want to have a gun with one black anodized handguard, and a slightly different shade of black anodized lower receiver, and then another shade for the muzzle device. Any advice on where I should go?"

-That is going to be an issue. Every AR part that I have ever bought has a slighlty different finish, shade, gloss, or parkerized look. No two have ever been the same. If you want that kind of consistently, you need to consider Cerakote or my favorite which is Duracoat.

"Also, it's going to be in 6.8 spc. Anyone shoot that accurately with 110gr v-max from hornady? What twist and barrel length do you have?"

- I ran a 6.8spc for seven years (for all my shooting and hunting). I never saw anything spectacular with 110vmax. You also have to consider that the SPC and the SPCII chambers will perform different because they require different pressures.

TC

Back