243 Blues

My 1/10 twist RRA Predator HP shoots 3/4 to 5/8 groups with 39 grains of Varget pushing a 64 grain Berger BR Column Target. I have not adjusted seating and kept it 2.18 OG

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm to the point of taking it to a witch doctor if I thought it would help. I've pretty much decided that a new barrel is not far down the road. Wasting sacred bullets on a dead horse is getting very disappointing. I have a lot of 6mm bullets, just don't have a lot of each weight. When they are gone, they are gone. Same as with my LR primers.

One decision is barrel manufacturer, Wilson or Douglas? I know these aren't premier barrels but I'm not building a bench gun, just a solid hunting rifle. Another is caliber, 243,243AI or 6AI? I like the 6AI and have dies and brass for it. If I go 243AI, I start from scratch.

I don't think you have exhausted all your avenues yet, but..........
If you are looking for a good barrel on the cheap, then look at either E.R. Shaw or Green Mountain barrels. The Barrett Fieldcraft rifles, which have an awesome reputation, used Green Mountain Barrels.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog

One decision is barrel manufacturer, Wilson or Douglas? I know these aren't premier barrels but I'm not building a bench gun, just a solid hunting rifle.

Why not a Criterion? B/t a couple buddies and me, we have 6 of them. They all have been hammers and they don't break the bank.

Well another trip to the range today with the 243. I used 44 grains of H4350, 88 grain Berger, CCI primer and Winchester brass. Bullet was seated .005 off the lands. I only loaded 10 rounds. A few to get everything dialed back in then a couple of 3 shot groups. I used the first 3 to zero the scope. then let the barrel completely cool down and shot another rifle I had brought along just for this reason. The first 3 shot group had 2 almost touching and one out,a.769 group. With 4 rounds left, I let the barrel cool completely then shot the last 4. First round went high, maybe me, maybe not, but the last three went into a .702 group. The last group even with the high shot was a 1.020. Maybe the shorter barrel and new crown has helped, not sure as of yet but feel at least I am closer and have something to work with. Much better than before.

Try this website, The barrels are made by Wilson barrels. Same company that makes cooper barrels. MOst are a buck seventy five and shipping is usually within a week or two. Check it out. I have had these and it was better than the Excaliber Barrel I paid nearly 3oo bucks for and took 8 months to get.https://raggedholebarrels.net/collections/wilson-barrels

check it out
Dave

Adios Weatherby Vanguard. It found a new home today. I did trade it in on a Sako 243. Hopefully my luck will be better with this one. Thank you folks for all the help!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAdios Weatherby Vanguard. It found a new home today. I did trade it in on a Sako 243. Hopefully my luck will be better with this one.

I think that was a smart move, Bill. I never had a Sako that would not shoot great. Love the looks and those smooth slick actions.

I kinda decided if for some reason the Sako doesn't shoot, I'd much rather put money in a Sako action than a Vanguard. If it shoots as good as my Finnbear, I won't be buying a barrel anytime soon.

Well, first time out with the Sako this morning. Its neither Indian or the arrow this time. First loads were 80 grain Bergers and Win 760. All smiles today. The little rifle is a shooter. Loaded 15 rounds and pretty much wasted the first 6 sighting in and getting the scope where I wanted it but then shot a .708 and a .606 three shot groups. One group was a .929 and was the largest. I had lots of wind and all three groups dropped the third shot and I can blame me or maybe barrel heat. All three groups had two hole touching and dropped the third low and left. I think that's pretty good for the first time out. So much better than the Vanguard. I'm not going to knock the Vanguard as I have owned Vanguards and Howas before and they have always been good shooters. I think I just happened to get a bad one. When we cut the barrel on the Vanguard, we did a cast of the stub. The rifling was so shallow it barely left marks on the casting. I don't think this is normal. Maybe so but it looked pretty weird to me and my gunsmith. Doesn't matter now. its gone.

Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.I can never regret buying another Sako, lol.

Good choice.

No regrets here either. And the anguish is gone too. I hate when I get my butt kicked but I got it handed to me this time.

Back