The older NV scopes (M845, PVS4, etc)

SIerraLima

I know a lot of these fixed power scopes were big on here years ago and I am wondering how they are holding up for guys that still have them. If you own or previously owned a M845, PVS4, TVS5, D740, D760 with gen 2 or gen 3 tubes, what are your thoughts on them to today vs any of the newer scopes you might have picked up (including digital). I recently began a search back into these as I never bought one back then and still want one for a classic setup and to play with older NV as its still awesome. For those of you that might have owned any of these did any specific models have issues? Whether it was lens coatings, seals drying out, losing zero, bad electrical connections, etc.

Thanks

I bought a Gen 3 D760 5-6 years ago. Even though I went mostly all thermal 3 years ago the D760 is not for sale. We still use it regularly and it has been %100 trouble free since day one.
Same with my TNVC PVS14. When I need it it works every time.
Shooting with a weapon mounted IR laser and a helmet mounted PVS14 is about as fun as it gets.

Awesome, glad to hear the D760 has treated you so well over the years. That is kind of my thoughts, those older scopes were once the must have items, and half of them were military grade. So if I want to have a rifle that rides in the truck with a NV optic, or stays against the back door for quick close range chicken coop it would be a good way to go with less money on the line. Plus I like the old technology/history of the items.

Agree, the pvs14 is what got me going back down this path. I have used thermals from 320s, 640s (scanners, scopes and clipons), and goggles with green tubes and white, new and old and the old stuff still works great for some things. Granted older is not better and its a different world compared to the new stuff...but info like your 760 is what I am after.

The scopes I listed were all over here back in the day, pre-digital NV but I havent seen people post good or bad things about them whenever I find the time to come over here and lurk around. Like the PVS4 or the M845, I dont see people post up about issues with the red dot (845) burning out, or the PVS4 tubes dying since they are a much older design and have lots of hours on them. With my limited knowledge on these models I can not rate them by quality/longevity and that is what I am looking for if I am able to find any for sale in the near future. They all seem quality and it purely depends on intended use (red dot vs reticle, native magnification, etc)

I had a lot of trouble with my M845 holding zero, I also didnt like the dot reticle, I liked cross hairs to keep the scope plumb..
I ended up mounting a gen 3 PVS-14 (still have it) in back of my Nikon 2.5 to 10 Monarch, wasn't perfect but it dropped a lot of yotes for seven years with the help of a IR torch, till I went thermal..

I also picked up a older ATN X Sight two digital NV scope, I told the guy it would not be good for yotes, but he did not listen, then he sold it to me for a third of what he paid and its my go to night rat shooting scope for my Benjamin Marauder air rifles..

My original D-760 from 11 years ago is still growing strong along with my 7 year old 740.

These scopes have REALLY passed the test of time. Add to that the newer D-790 has some of the best glass out there, actually out performing the Raptors of their time which is saying a lot!

I have a D500 Gen 2+ and a D740 Gen3. When I see the prices some guys are paying for digital scopes when the could step up to one of these, I just shake my head. Although mine are very lightly used, they work just as well today as the day I bought them. For where I hunt PID is essential.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEI had a lot of trouble with my M845 holding zero, I also didnt like the dot reticle, I liked cross hairs to keep the scope plumb..

We're you able ever able to diagnose what the issue was with the reticle holding zero?

Originally Posted By: Victor_TNVCMy original D-760 from 11 years ago is still growing strong along with my 7 year old 740.

These scopes have REALLY passed the test of time. Add to that the newer D-790 has some of the best glass out there, actually out performing the Raptors of their time which is saying a lot!

Thanks Vic. Havent seen the D790 bit always saw good things from the image the D7XX were producing. Since you sold all kinds of these scopes can you speak to what you saw from issues on each, or was it fairly evenly split? Did the m845 and D740/760/790/etc all use 11769 format tubes?

Originally Posted By: cmateraI have a D500 Gen 2+ and a D740 Gen3. When I see the prices some guys are paying for digital scopes when the could step up to one of these, I just shake my head. Although mine are very lightly used, they work just as well today as the day I bought them. For where I hunt PID is essential.

Agreed, the digital stuff is cool and I have a photon RT somewhere, but everytime it shows up I give it to another family member to try out. I'm not familiar with the D500, ill have to look that one up.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTE
I had a lot of trouble with my M845 holding zero, I also didnt like the dot reticle, I liked cross hairs to keep the scope plumb..

We're you able ever able to diagnose what the issue was with the reticle holding zero?

No, as I said did not like the dot reticle, I sold it and moved on..

Last edited:
Yeah, I understood you sold it just didn't know if the issue was a known thing before selling (loose mount, too much recoil, reticle moved when you tried focusing a lens, etc.

That's awesome the 14 on the back of the scope worked so well. I've never tried that with one of mine. Thermal is definitely king but I do like a good red dot doing passive aiming with my goggles and red dot. In my head the 845 would be similar to that.

Digital on a PCP does seem like a wonderful combination as I havent seen many chassis/mounts that would allow for a clipon NV or thermal. I need to make the investment in PCP and put my photon on it.

The mount was solid, recoil was not a factor, I just got a bad unit, luck of the draw.
The objective seemed to wobble, when I sold it, it was still under warranty, I sold it at a loss, and the person had it fixed and still uses it today... I on the other hand after using the PVS-14 set up for years, moved on to a IRD Mark 3 60mm thermal, I can put 4 shots into a clover leaf pattern at 100 hundred yards with my reloads, it holds its zero better than my Nikon Monarch did.. I believe the M845 was not as good a platform that the D series of conventional light gathering scopes were, or still are..

Thanks man, that is exactly the kind if information I was looking for. If I did find an M845 I was considering the objective will be something I look at, but will likely bump it down the list to one of the D series scopes.

The mk3 is a nice scope, I had one for a little just didn't like giving up a reticle I could use with holdovers and recently picked up a thermal clipon.

Hmmm, so you did not like the IRD or Trij Mark 3 (which has a host of reticle types)? But were considering an M845 (2005) technology at best, that at 175 yards the Dot reticle covers the coyotes vitals area?

What type of clip on did you purchase?

My Night Optics (pre Bering??) D-740 is about 3 or 4 years old. It is a Gen 2+ unit. Still perfect. Not used a lot but when the conditions are right I use it. A very nice unit. Purchased from Night Goggles.

Last edited:

Sierra, I had an M845 years ago. I liked the size and design, but adjustment was terrible. One click would make a big difference on target at 60 yards.
As well, brightness wasn’t anything to write home about. My home-made $230 outfit outperformed it. I was able to return the 845 for a refund.
I wanted to like it but it was not good enough to suite me.

51478570037_b61da08461_c.jpg

51479580958_db8fbbe375_c.jpg

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEHmmm, so you did not like the IRD or Trij Mark 3 (which has a host of reticle types)? But were considering an M845 (2005) technology at best, that at 175 yards the Dot reticle covers the coyotes vitals area?

What type of clip on did you purchase?

I really like the IRD stuff, I really liked my IR Patrol for what it was. My only complaint for it was that there was a zero shift when you focus the objective. As far as the MK3 60mm my preference with the reticle is the lack of useful reticle subtensions compared against some other options (at the time Nvision). The trijicon had lots of reticles to choose from but nothing was mil or moa based so any holdover I typically use with a specific rifle during the day was not applicable. Nothing was wrong with the image or quality of the scope, I was just looking for something mil/moa based to use holdovers I already used on other scopes.

Yes, I was looking at older technology because I enjoy NV and appreciate the older stuff/its cool. The purpose for the M845/PVS4/D740 would likely be a sub 90 yard scope on chicken coop duty. Yes, there are better options out there but for the intended range I was looking to pick up a cool old piece of technology for a fraction of the cost of the newer things (some of which I have).

I ended up buying a UTC X clipon. Currently still have that, awesome thermal and I get to use my day scope reticle.

Last edited:
Thanks 6mm06, your baitpile thread is what I recalled and kept my interest in some of these older scopes. I did not recall the M845 issues with zeroing at such a close range, but now that you mention it I do remember that somewhat. That is unfortunate, while my intended use will likely be similar in range and setup to your hunting building/bait pile my main targets are fox/coyote so still need to be precise. Guess that puts the M845 further down the list than the PVS4 and the D Series.

I am still hunting with a D740 and scanning with a Flir PS 32. How does the Super Hogster compare? I would hope its resolution is better than my old Flir, what about the D-740. I can id very well with the night vision.

Originally Posted By: gnhuntinI am still hunting with a D740 and scanning with a Flir PS 32. How does the Super Hogster compare? I would hope its resolution is better than my old Flir, what about the D-740. I can id very well with the night vision. Comparing Gen2 or 3 NV to thermal is difficult as they are such different technologies. I believe you will be able to detect coyotes as much greater distances with the SH. However, you can PID a coyote vs a fox at greater distances with a D-740.

I would recommend you buy it from Night Goggles, and then you have a 7-day return policy that if you get it and it isn't what you are expecting, you can return it.

Honestly, the thermal scanner is the biggest asset to coyote hunting success. I would consider getting a better thermal scanner (such as a Bering Optics Phenom or Pulsar Helion XP50 2) and using the D740 for now. After using a good thermal scanner, it won't be long and you will be wanting an equally as good thermal scope.

Back