Fake Leupolds

pyscodog

The bootleggers have changed the game a little. Used to tell the fake ones buy the serial numbers. Now the numbers look legit but they have a copper colored ring instead of gold. The box's look the same as a real one as well. Even the glass is pretty good but they are bogus. A guy I know had two on his table this week-end. He was selling them as bootleg Leupolds but for a guy that didn't know any better he would get hoodwinked.

I bought a 1.75-4 leupold scope for a shotgun off eBay for a really reasonable price. When it came in, the return address said “Warehouse” and that was it. There was no packing slip in the box but the scope was still shrink wrapped. I panicked a bit and called leupold. Gave them the serial number without mentioning the details on the scope. He rattled the info back to me all the way down to the reticle. He said to look at the lettering on the objective and can’t remember exactly what he asked me about the lettering but when I told him he said your are 100% good to go and if you have any problems with it send it in and we will take care of it. Pretty nice folks over there.

The guy had two of the imposters. If he hadn't had them marked as fakes, I'm not sure I would have noticed. They are getting better fooling the consumers. You use to tell right off by the serial numbers and the stick on paper badges they used. Now the numbers look legit and the badges look real as well. Be aware!

Ever been on that WISH app? They sell the fakes on there. I’ll only buy from reputable dealers then I know I’m getting a real one. In fact I just bought a VX5HD 3-15x44 couple days ago. My 2nd VX5 model and am looking forward to sighting it in soon.

If they don’t loose their zero they do better than the real Leupolds. I have had two Leupold optics in a row that won’t hold POA and won’t adjust right out of the box. I have read tons of threads all over the net with the same issues. Their quality control has gone down the tubes lately. Leupold customer service is A1 through. They are well aware of the problem and have been giving away the farm to make up for it. Natchez shooters supply must have struck a deal with them as they are selling “warranted out” Leupold “blems” now just like Nikon did with all their defective returns.

Last edited:
I tried buying a 4-24x50 vx6hd for $100 and something. I knew it was a fake used PayPal to pay for it took the risk. Ordered it waited a week or 10days nothing, no email no order confirmation, no shipping information. Contacted them of there site nothing. 2 weeks went by with no contact back so I disputed with PayPal and won they gave me my money back.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogNever been to Wish but might check them out. I could use a nice scope for a rifle I acquired/

lol dont do it.

its full of knockoff's - and your inbox will be bombarded by them once you login.

and they're not even trying to hide that they're marketing it with trademarked US product names

fake acogs are $73
fake VX-3 4.5-14x50 $83

Several months ago I saw ad ad that was advertising "Closeout Leupold's". Prices were around $100. It immediately through up a red flag to me. These have to be fake. I didn't even open up the site to check them out.

I just ordered a DeltaPoint from Amazon. When it arrived there was no cellophane on the package which kind of alarmed me. When I shut it off using the manual switch and moved it, it would automatically come on which shouldn’t happen. The serial number looked suspect so I called Leupold and sure enough it was a fake. So I returned it to Amazon, called them and gave the rep a full report on what it happened. She took all my info down and thanked me for calling to report this. I believe what happened was somebody ordered a new DeltaPoint took it out of the box, stuck the fake one in and returned it. I re-ordered one from MidwayUSA and as luck would have it they had a $50 gift certificate offer and three free months onX offer that came with it.

I have a luppy compact spotting scope that I swear is a fake.....whole unit, accessories plus the case just look chinsy! Handle fell off the case, print on the labeling looks off, etc. Optics are so-so imho, and i'm not a snob. Called Leupold, they asked for the serial #, and claimed it as a real one?! Dunno how to tell for real w/o sending it to them I guess?

Back