6mm Remington Coyote #2

6mm06

My season has finally arrived and I stayed at the shack for the last three consecutive nights. I have been watching a female coyote for most of the summer, though it's been a couple of weeks since I have seen her.

Early this morning at 0653 the alarm sounded. It was a coyote, but a different one, a male. My ATN 4k Pro digital was set to night mode. As I was trying to get it to daylight mode, the coyote looked up in the field, got nervous and suddenly left in a hurry. I figured my chance was gone, so I lay back on the bunk. About an hour later the alarm sounded again. He was a back. I had changed the mode to daytime. I think this only makes two coyotes I have taken during daylight hours over bait. They usually come at night.

The Ruger American Predator in 6mm Remington dropped him where he stood. I was shooting a Sierra Blitz King at 3720 fps. The bullet didn't exit the broadside shot. Distance was the usual 60 yards.

51461693915_1f024eedbc_b.jpg

51460741326_a4aebbfd00_b.jpg

51461474149_3bb64dc454_b.jpg

Softpoint, yes, it was a 55 gr. Sierra Blitz King out of a 6mm Remington. No exit. I chronographed the load at 3720 fps, but was somewhat disappointed since I thought I could get at least 3800, and really expected more. Either way, this particular shot was picture perfect. Tiny entrance, coyote on the ground and no exit.

The "no exit" is unbelievable. I'm amazed it didn't blow out the other side at that velocity. I keep the fur so that's what I'm looking for.

My first coyote rifle was a 6mmr Rem and am thinking about another one.

Well, I can’t say with certainty what this load may do to future coyotes, but at least in this one case it was perfect. Last season I dumped a coyote with a 58 gr. V-Max at just under 3700 fps. It put a baseball size hole on the offside, the worst exit I have seen yet.

Cherokee, I didn't hit bone that I know of, and that could be the reason. Time will tell hopefully if I am able to get a few more on the ground. I can say one thing for sure - the 58 gr. V-Max had the worst exit I have ever had, and it could have / most likely hit bone. I know that DoubleUp and some others have good results with the V-Max with no exits from a 243, so no doubt it makes a difference where you hit them.

Here is the offside of the recent coyote. No exit at all.

51478606797_90720f4647_c.jpg

Back