Baiting

Burn, it has been a work in progress for the last 10 years. I got the storage building in 2011 and turned it into my hunting shack. My only regret is that I didn’t get one a little larger. This one is an 8x12. You are right that it’s good to see how others bait hunt and their setup. A lot of these ideas I got from members here in the Baiting section, like the window foam and driveway sensors.

Softpoint, the shack is on our family mountain farm which is one mile by road from my house to the farm gate. I have been using two trail cameras to monitor when coyotes hit the bait, but it requires me to go to the farm often. Last year I did a cell camera operation in addition and that really helped me plan my next hunt. The cell camera sends photos to my iphone. I used a Moultrie modem connected to a trail camera. This year I purchased the stand alone Moultrie Delta camera. Not completely satisfied with the Delta just yet but we will see.

This summer I did a lot of work to the building. I will post that story shortly.

For years I have been wanting a solar system for my hunting shack, but have just neglected getting into it,
mainly due to lack of knowledge about "how" to do it. There is no electricity on this side of the farm,
so 12 volt DC battery power has been my source all along. This summer I decided I would do it.
After joining a solar forum and asking questions until they got tired of hearing from me, I began
surfing the net to learn what I need and how.

This is what I have been using for years - a DC power pack that has a cigarette lighter adapter.
This powered my overhead lights (two 2-watt DC bulbs).

51476509473_e6e0ea7b59_c.jpg

So, to begin the summer I did the following: First, I put a new deck on the cabin. I also restained it. But the most interesting part
is that I now have a 100 watt solar panel sitting in a frame on the deck, with leads running to a solar charge controller inside the
cabin, and a battery box to the upper side of the cabin. I am currently using a deep cycle battery that has 80 amp capacity.

[
51468986440_446f3ca992_c.jpg

51467264292_52a5ec31c9_c.jpg

51468756214_89d0a1abf7_c.jpg

51467264222_0678eaf182_c.jpg

Solar Charge Controller. I have an "off" switch so I can stop power from coming into the system from the controller,
and I can use the red battery pack as a backup and back feed the current into the system. Always pays to have a backup plan.

51468974070_cf6f1c1a63_c.jpg

I then ran conduit around the walls inside the cabin to outlets of various kinds. I have the option of cigarette lighter adapters
in three places, also two places that have AC outlets (even though I am only running DC 12 volt). I also have USB ports on
both the charge controller and at the head of my bed so I can charge my phone.

Inside the box in the next photo is one of the remote control devices. I use that to turn on and off the overhead lights.
It has cigarette adapter and on the right side where you can't see is a 2.1mm female plug in the side.

51467264142_dab5abed3a_c.jpg

51477246160_b62ed0579e_c.jpg

I put an outlet at the head of the bed too, with USB, Cigarette adapter and AC-type outlet. It also has a 2.1mm jack
in the top of the outlet. The lamp has a 2-watt DC bulb.

51467271972_e66a8794c7_c.jpg

As well, I built a new and better battery box and mounted it on the 4x4 post that has the 940nm spotlight.

51468280653_08c6b2f40a_c.jpg

51467264072_19a528b021_c.jpg

51468756069_bd093d1029_c.jpg

51468027691_4bfb608d56_c.jpg

I also put a 15" DC TV in the shack. It has CD / DVD capability, so I can find some entertainment while hunting.
The other night I watched Clint Eastwood "Joe Kid." Night before that it was "Pale Rider."

51467263967_fe9467c115_c.jpg

The TV swings and folds flat against the wall when not in use.

51468755989_b58f3d4bba_c.jpg

Man, this coyote hunting stuff is hard work !!

51468973885_f3edffde84_c.jpg

Oh, I also added shelves inside, and guttering at the roof, so it's been a busy summer. The only thing lacking is more coyotes to shoot at, and maybe a pretty waitress to serve me breakfast in bed.

Thanks guys. It has been a work in progress, and somewhat of a diversion to boredom.

Softpoint, that’s a good idea, window in a window.

Owen, you and I have watched each other’s coyote hunting endeavors all these years and literally exchanged thousands of emails. What I have witnessed is your progression of becoming a real master. My simple projects and few coyote numbers pale in comparrison.

Lol, maybe a master of disaster would be a more correct view. You just don't have the coyotes that we do, and we don't have numbers like a lot of places. We're all learning as we go, and having fun doing it. I thank God everyday to still be able to have the health at 74 to hunt, fish, and keep my home and property going. I know you do as well. We're blessed my Brother!

Been a really long time since I had a coyote at my bait. I have plenty of fat red and gray fox, as well as coons and possums. Last night I had a coyote in two times but I was out of town. I have fresh bait and bacon grease out tonight as well as freshly charged alarm sensors. Hoping for a ding ding later tonight.

Keep after 'em Week!

So last night I took my SIL out for his 2nd hunting experience. After the last time he came out, I implemented Rule #3, which states "Dont Hesitate - if you have a shot, take it". That being I waited for him to shoot one that came in last week, and he didnt shoot, and it got away alive. That aint happening no more...

Said SIL gets tired after a couple hours, and gets up and starts packing to go. We're chit chatting and I'm smoking a cigar and scanning downrange every few minutes. A coyote comes in and the rest is history as they say.

80 yards, 223 60gr VMax, ~60-65 degrees with 90% humidity.

Here's the video. Male, pretty much DRT

That's the way to drop 'em, Burn. Those 60 grain V-Max work pretty good, in my experience anyway. Looks like you are proving them to be the same. I have the same theory you do - shoot when you get the opportunity. Even waiting a few seconds can cost you.

Looks like we both had a bit of luck last night. I am working on mine and will post it up shortly.

I have been playing a sort-of cat-n-mouse game with this coyote for a while. It would show up one night, I would hunt the next, and even a couple more nights and nothing. Then last Saturday night I didn't hunt due to having church the next morning, and low and behold it showed up. So, I stayed the next 5 consecutive nights, hoping for a return. It happened last night, the 5th night.

I squeezed the trigger at 0434 this morning. That darn coyote heard me release the rifle safety of all things, and looked my way instantly. Luckily she went back to searching for tidbits. I didn't use a weapon-mounted IR, but rather am using two infrared spot lights. One is a 940nm light that is mounted about 30 yards from where the coyote fell, and the other is an 850nm light that is mounted about 45 yards (in the cabin yard). Once I deployed the 850 light, I was like Burnsome and didn't let time go by. I shot quickly, afraid the coyote might look toward the cabin and see the red glow. The 940 light does not give off any glow at all that I can see and is pure stealth. Both lights have 198 LED's each.

Here is the view this morning while looking out the cabin door. The white arrow points to where the coyote fell.

51594157340_65e8fa83fa_c.jpg

51593261821_1964056c91_c.jpg

51593261811_80e93dc2f2_c.jpg

Here is the outfit used. The rifle is a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Remington. I was shooting 55 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings.
The bullet left a 24 caliber size entry and no exit. The coyote sounded like mush inside. I chronographed the load at 3720 fps.

51593261781_40365caaa9_c.jpg

Tiny entry, and no exit. This makes two consecutive coyotes taken with this load, and no exit.

51593483218_63e9f987c1_c.jpg

51593483213_0daf0cda28_c.jpg

Just an update on the new solar system I installed this summer: It is working perfectly the way it's supposed to. I have plenty
of power for my needs and have yet to have the battery go below 5 bars (shows 5 bars when fully charged). I stayed at the
shack for 5 consecutive nights, and every day the solar panel would top the battery off to a full charge and ready for the
next night. It was well worth the time and money.

51468986440_446f3ca992_c.jpg

Back