Baiting

Got out to my brother in laws up the road last night as he's been seeing a lot of activity on the trail cams. We had a total of 4 come to visit before 11pm. My BIL and I both shot one each. We had another buddy with us that had never shot a coyote before, but he apparently missed the other 2 that we saved for him as they ran off and never found them. Oh well, maybe next time. He's got quite the bundle of high-end NV and thermals so I dont know if his laser is off or what. Anyway, I'm sure he learned from the experience and will tag 'em next time.

I was using my Super Hogster and it was the first kill with it. Unfortunately I thought I had hit the record button on the scope but apparently not so no video this go round.

They were both young but at least they were "normal" looking compared to that thing I shot a couple weeks ago.

YpMpBUB.jpg

YU10Bx8.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyyoteGreat looking setup. I'm sure it will be lethal in your hands. Now get that video editing setup ready, we'll all be waiting.

I do post pics regularly. As far as video, I'll have to work on that. As I now have an internet program where I don't have to deal with data caps( I live in the sticks). Having said that, I'm not a big fan of Youtubes liberal policies and don't have an account...but, we'll work on that. I do enjoy the vids.

BIL took the shot for me last night and put this young male down. It was about 9:45PM. Humidity was about 45% and the view is through the Super Hogster. We had stopped hunting about 15 minutes earlier and were just jabber jawing and I looked up with my scanner and saw this guy coming in. We both got tunnel vision as we didnt see the second yote but in the video you can see it streak across the screen lickety split...

IHggerU.jpg

That’s some good quality thermal resolution, Burn. Boy, that second one didn’t take time to get outta there.

I hope to have some success soon. I am at my shack tonight, hoping that skinny female returns. She was a regular visitor most of the summer, but has now got scarce.

My season has finally arrived and I stayed at the shack for the last three consecutive nights. I have been watching a female coyote for most of the summer, though it's been a couple of weeks since I have seen her.

Early this morning at 0653 the alarm sounded. It was a coyote, but a different one, a male. My ATN 4k Pro digital was set to night mode. As I was trying to get it to daylight mode, the coyote looked up in the field, got nervous and suddenly left in a hurry. I figured my chance was gone, so I lay back on the bunk. About an hour later the alarm sounded again. He was a back. I had changed the mode to daytime. I think this only makes two coyotes I have taken during daylight hours over bait. They usually come at night.

The Ruger American Predator in 6mm Remington dropped him where he stood. I was shooting a Sierra Blitz King at 3720 fps. The bullet didn't exit the broadside shot. Distance was the usual 60 yards.

51461693915_1f024eedbc_b.jpg

51460741326_a4aebbfd00_b.jpg

51461474149_3bb64dc454_b.jpg

Thanks Burn. I decided to use the 4k scope on the 6mm since last time I used the thermal on it, it put a black dot on the screen when I shot. I am afraid of wrecking my scope, so I am using the 4k.

I got to looking at my IR spotlights recently after you inquired about them a while back. I knew I had two 850nm ones plus the 940 one, but I had forgot that one of the 850’s is a 198 LED. So, I mounted that one on the cabin yard post. It is 45 yards from the post to the bait site, and of course the one I use all the time is the 940nm (total stealth) one that is on the tall 4x4 post that is 25-30 yards from the bait site. I’m not even using a weapon mounted IR right now, just those two spotlights and remote switches to turn them on and off. I plan to play around some with those spotlights, 6mm and 4k. The coyote showed up in daylight hours, unusual so I didn’t get to test the lights. Eventually I will return to the Grendel and thermal, which I really like.

This is the cabin yard post with the 198 LED 850nm light. The remote control unit is inside the plastic box.

51467948316_9cd869ed14_c.jpg

I also got a new remote that is working well. It seems to be better made than the old one I have been using.
Specs say it has a range up to 500 feet line-of-sight.

51468888415_a1e486ae57_c.jpg

51468890900_c1707ef9b1_c.jpg
[/url]

Excellent set up there 6. I rotate between my 4k and thermal as well, but seem to grab the thermal upper most lately due to the light weight of the rifle as compared to the upper with the 4K.

The big IR light I have (and you and DU) recommended works very well but I havent gone to the remote ON/OFF route as I simply plug it into an extension chord. If you can get by without the IR light on the gun thats good for less weight plus having to accomplish the task of turning it on when needed.

Dont know about your yotes, but the ones I encounter give me about 5 seconds to acquire target and take the shot before they scoot. The Super Hogster video takes 2-3 seconds to activate so that doesnt leave much time. I wish it had RAV like the 4k does as that also takes another step out of the equation.

Burn, For the most part, my coyotes linger a while at the bait site. Sometimes they leave but generally return a short time later. I guess they just want to be slow and check things out. Rarely does one fully commit to the bait right away.

Using an IR on my rifle will be difficult due to the way I use the window foam with the rifle barrel / forearm and scope sticking through. Since the 4k doesn't have a picatinny mount, I JB Welded one to the left side of the lens sun shade. However, I cut the foam for a tight fit for the barrel and scope. Will keep light inside the cabin and cold air out.

51468288428_1fb253f52b_c.jpg

51468288373_e5abf1a833_c.jpg

This is how my rifle looks at the window. You can see how the foam allows me to keep light inside, cold air out and to be able
to see to shoot. An IR light hanging off the side of the scope would complicate things.

51470437965_98173b6e14_c.jpg

Here is a view with my bullet camera and monitor that keeps tabs on what is at the bait site.
When the alarm goes off, I turn on the monitor (camera runs all the time) to see what's there.
I turn on the 940nm spotlight which illuminates the bait area.

The camera has a 16mm lens that gives just the right amount of magnification to see what's at the site.

51469493431_547748e31b_c.jpg

From the outside. The upper thing is the bullet camera with a foam shroud over it to protect it from the weather.

51470327379_87a1a9401a_c.jpg

Thats pretty awesome 6. Always interesting to see how differently we adapt to the bait pile hunting routine. I'm impressed with the monitor and rifle/scope setup. Cool hunting cabin to boot!

Back