Tactical Night Vision

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ô Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 390 of 391 < 1 2 ... 388 389 390 391 >
Topic Options
#3281900 - 09/13/21 02:27 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Loc: USA

Thanks Burn. I decided to use the 4k scope on the 6mm since last time I used the thermal on it, it put a black dot on the screen when I shot. I am afraid of wrecking my scope, so I am using the 4k.

I got to looking at my IR spotlights recently after you inquired about them a while back. I knew I had two 850nm ones plus the 940 one, but I had forgot that one of the 850ís is a 198 LED. So, I mounted that one on the cabin yard post. It is 45 yards from the post to the bait site, and of course the one I use all the time is the 940nm (total stealth) one that is on the tall 4x4 post that is 25-30 yards from the bait site. Iím not even using a weapon mounted IR right now, just those two spotlights and remote switches to turn them on and off. I plan to play around some with those spotlights, 6mm and 4k. The coyote showed up in daylight hours, unusual so I didnít get to test the lights. Eventually I will return to the Grendel and thermal, which I really like.

This is the cabin yard post with the 198 LED 850nm light. The remote control unit is inside the plastic box.

I also got a new remote that is working well. It seems to be better made than the old one I have been using.
Specs say it has a range up to 500 feet line-of-sight.

[/url]

#3281913 - 09/13/21 06:15 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Burnsome... Online
Die Hard Member

Loc: GA
Excellent set up there 6. I rotate between my 4k and thermal as well, but seem to grab the thermal upper most lately due to the light weight of the rifle as compared to the upper with the 4K.

The big IR light I have (and you and DU) recommended works very well but I havent gone to the remote ON/OFF route as I simply plug it into an extension chord. If you can get by without the IR light on the gun thats good for less weight plus having to accomplish the task of turning it on when needed.

Dont know about your yotes, but the ones I encounter give me about 5 seconds to acquire target and take the shot before they scoot. The Super Hogster video takes 2-3 seconds to activate so that doesnt leave much time. I wish it had RAV like the 4k does as that also takes another step out of the equation.

#3281922 - 09/13/21 08:44 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Burn, For the most part, my coyotes linger a while at the bait site. Sometimes they leave but generally return a short time later. I guess they just want to be slow and check things out. Rarely does one fully commit to the bait right away.

Using an IR on my rifle will be difficult due to the way I use the window foam with the rifle barrel / forearm and scope sticking through. Since the 4k doesn't have a picatinny mount, I JB Welded one to the left side of the lens sun shade. However, I cut the foam for a tight fit for the barrel and scope. Will keep light inside the cabin and cold air out.

This is how my rifle looks at the window. You can see how the foam allows me to keep light inside, cold air out and to be able
to see to shoot. An IR light hanging off the side of the scope would complicate things.

Here is a view with my bullet camera and monitor that keeps tabs on what is at the bait site.
When the alarm goes off, I turn on the monitor (camera runs all the time) to see what's there.
I turn on the 940nm spotlight which illuminates the bait area.

The camera has a 16mm lens that gives just the right amount of magnification to see what's at the site.

From the outside. The upper thing is the bullet camera with a foam shroud over it to protect it from the weather.

#3281927 - 09/14/21 07:37 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Burnsome... Online
Die Hard Member

Thats pretty awesome 6. Always interesting to see how differently we adapt to the bait pile hunting routine. I'm impressed with the monitor and rifle/scope setup. Cool hunting cabin to boot!

#3281933 - 09/14/21 02:10 PM Re: Baiting [Re: 6mm06]
Softpoint Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Washington
Talk about taking it to the next level! Love your setup. How far is your shooting shack from the main house?

#3281936 - 09/14/21 03:38 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Burn, it has been a work in progress for the last 10 years. I got the storage building in 2011 and turned it into my hunting shack. My only regret is that I didnít get one a little larger. This one is an 8x12. You are right that itís good to see how others bait hunt and their setup. A lot of these ideas I got from members here in the Baiting section, like the window foam and driveway sensors.

Softpoint, the shack is on our family mountain farm which is one mile by road from my house to the farm gate. I have been using two trail cameras to monitor when coyotes hit the bait, but it requires me to go to the farm often. Last year I did a cell camera operation in addition and that really helped me plan my next hunt. The cell camera sends photos to my iphone. I used a Moultrie modem connected to a trail camera. This year I purchased the stand alone Moultrie Delta camera. Not completely satisfied with the Delta just yet but we will see.

This summer I did a lot of work to the building. I will post that story shortly.

#3281939 - 09/14/21 05:24 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

For years I have been wanting a solar system for my hunting shack, but have just neglected getting into it,
mainly due to lack of knowledge about "how" to do it. There is no electricity on this side of the farm,
so 12 volt DC battery power has been my source all along. This summer I decided I would do it.
After joining a solar forum and asking questions until they got tired of hearing from me, I began
surfing the net to learn what I need and how.

This is what I have been using for years - a DC power pack that has a cigarette lighter adapter.
This powered my overhead lights (two 2-watt DC bulbs).

So, to begin the summer I did the following: First, I put a new deck on the cabin. I also restained it. But the most interesting part
is that I now have a 100 watt solar panel sitting in a frame on the deck, with leads running to a solar charge controller inside the
cabin, and a battery box to the upper side of the cabin. I am currently using a deep cycle battery that has 80 amp capacity.

[

Solar Charge Controller. I have an "off" switch so I can stop power from coming into the system from the controller,
and I can use the red battery pack as a backup and back feed the current into the system. Always pays to have a backup plan.

I then ran conduit around the walls inside the cabin to outlets of various kinds. I have the option of cigarette lighter adapters
in three places, also two places that have AC outlets (even though I am only running DC 12 volt). I also have USB ports on
both the charge controller and at the head of my bed so I can charge my phone.

Inside the box in the next photo is one of the remote control devices. I use that to turn on and off the overhead lights.
It has cigarette adapter and on the right side where you can't see is a 2.1mm female plug in the side.

I put an outlet at the head of the bed too, with USB, Cigarette adapter and AC-type outlet. It also has a 2.1mm jack
in the top of the outlet. The lamp has a 2-watt DC bulb.

As well, I built a new and better battery box and mounted it on the 4x4 post that has the 940nm spotlight.

I also put a 15" DC TV in the shack. It has CD / DVD capability, so I can find some entertainment while hunting.
The other night I watched Clint Eastwood "Joe Kid." Night before that it was "Pale Rider."

The TV swings and folds flat against the wall when not in use.

Man, this coyote hunting stuff is hard work !!

Oh, I also added shelves inside, and guttering at the roof, so it's been a busy summer. The only thing lacking is more coyotes to shoot at, and maybe a pretty waitress to serve me breakfast in bed.

#3281943 - 09/14/21 06:53 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Burnsome... Online
Die Hard Member

VERY impressive there 6!

You got it going on for sure...

#3281960 - 09/15/21 07:12 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
crazyyote Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: ohio
You sir are the master.... (wait for it).... baiter !!!!!!

#3282063 - 09/16/21 08:44 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
baitpile Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: IA
Wow 6, what a summer!!! You have been busy! Looks great, lots of tech stuff going on there. Holy cow!!! Good job!!

#3282075 - 09/16/21 10:47 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
weekender Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: NC
Awesome setup 06, you sure have been busy and everything looks really neat.

#3282081 - 09/17/21 12:23 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
Softpoint Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Washington
I'm thinking window in window would be nice. Watching a movie and the bait on the same screen would be the ultimate! lol

#3282091 - 09/17/21 08:37 AM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Sure is a nice setup David. You've made a lot of improvements on it since 2011.

#3282117 - 09/17/21 08:20 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
6mm06 Offline
PM senior

Thanks guys. It has been a work in progress, and somewhat of a diversion to boredom.

Softpoint, thatís a good idea, window in a window.

Owen, you and I have watched each otherís coyote hunting endeavors all these years and literally exchanged thousands of emails. What I have witnessed is your progression of becoming a real master. My simple projects and few coyote numbers pale in comparrison.

#3282124 - 09/17/21 11:30 PM Re: Baiting [Re: Cougar Jim]
DoubleUp Online
Die Hard Member III

Lol, maybe a master of disaster would be a more correct view. You just don't have the coyotes that we do, and we don't have numbers like a lot of places. We're all learning as we go, and having fun doing it. I thank God everyday to still be able to have the health at 74 to hunt, fish, and keep my home and property going. I know you do as well. We're blessed my Brother!

Page 390 of 391 < 1 2 ... 388 389 390 391 >

Moderator:  Infidel 762, Redfrog 

© Predator Mastersô, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.