Turkey in Texas with a Rifle

KMAY

Is it legal to hunt Rio Grande turkey with a rifle in Texas? I have been doing some research and can not find a definitive answer. All the info I can find is at least 5 years old and want to make sure its legal.

I have looked up on tpwd website and says that its shotgun only for Eastern turkey in spring but does not say anywhere that a rifle is legal for Rio. Just want to make sure its 100% legal.

This is in Hood county.

Thanks
Kyle

Really just looking for clarification on weather you can use a rifle at all during spring. The wording seems to me that you may only use a shotgun during the spring season because the Eastern and Rio Grande Turkey season coincide.

Shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used during spring Eastern turkey season.

Just too confuse things further I found a map that shows that Eastern Turkeys are only in eastern part of Texas and not in the county I am hunting in.

Got ahold of the Game Warden for Hood county to verify my findings. He stated that it was indeed legal to use a rifle as long as you were not hunting eastern turkeys.

Little info for those of you who might be interested.

Sorry for the late reply, but I think it has to do with population numbers. Lots of rio grand turkeys and not so many eastern so they want to give them a chance.

Back