Incoming

You are a lot more confident in taking a running shot than I am but it seems to always work for you. I love the way the coyote's back feet just came right out from under her. I would recognize a Phenom image anywhere at the end. The Black Hot mode takes especially nice pictures also. Keep hammering them.

That’s what I use and although I would never say it’s not enough gun, there have been times that I wish I had more. None of it was a big deal deal. Just some runners here and there. If the bullets where it’s supposed to, it will kill every time.

I've shot them with everything from 17 Rem. to 308 Win. They all have their niche depending on whether you just want dead or fur. I'm sort of partial to the 243 but a 22-250 does mighty fine work as well on longer shots. My 16" barrel AR in 223 with the suppressor has been a lot of fun though and is a neat package.

You using factory ammo out of that 223 or you load your own? My rra coyote carbine likes the hornady 53 grain superformance, which is pretty nice because it gives me a couple more fps. Fps that I loose when shooting the regular stuff with the 16 inch barrel.

I typically tell people do not use VMax bullets for coyotes. I used them for years and in the last 5-10 years, it seems like the jacket has become too thin and causes too many splashes on fast calibers. DoubleUp shows Vmaxs seem to kill just fine for him in both his .243 and his .223.

Another comment I make is although more coyotes are killed annually by .223s than probably any other caliber (because of how many there are), I don't own one as I see too many runners on people using them. DoubleUp again shows example after example of DRTs with a .223.

I just have to come to terms with either I am mistaken on my long-held beliefs, or DoubleUp is just a better shot than I am or maybe both.

Originally Posted By: KirschI typically tell people do not use VMax bullets for coyotes. I used them for years and in the last 5-10 years, it seems like the jacket has become too thin and causes too many splashes on fast calibers. DoubleUp shows Vmaxs seem to kill just fine for him in both his .243 and his .223.

Another comment I make is although more coyotes are killed annually by .223s than probably any other caliber (because of how many there are), I don't own one as I see too many runners on people using them. DoubleUp again shows example after example of DRTs with a .223.

I just have to come to terms with either I am mistaken on my long-held beliefs, or DoubleUp is just a better shot than I am or maybe both.

I've had excellent DRT and clean kills with the Nosler VMax bullets but I've heard they are a bit more robust than the Hornady's. That's running the Nosler 50gr VMAX in 223

My other upper is dedicated to 60gr VMAX Hornadys and so far so good anyway.

Shooting at small steel targets at 200 yards is what told the tail for me. My cousin was shooting a 22-250 and I was using my 223. My 223 was just blemishing the steel. The 22-250 was putting a significant dent. Both of using vmax in the 55 grain range. I have hit some coyotes perfectly behind the shoulder under 100 yards and they made it to the woods. I found them not far in but I wasn’t impressed. Just watching the 22-250 thermal videos also makes the difference obvious. I never have chunks, visible through my thermal, blow off a coyote like when they are shot with a 22-250. I think there are other bullets I would like to try besides the vmax but it does an ok job on the coyote and where I hunt is flat and more densely populated than where you guys are. The vmax breaks up into really small pieces when it hits the ground. I always shoot in a safe direction but im under the impression that a high powered rifle at that velocity can go miles, even after ricocheting off the ground if it retains its weight. I can’t see for miles here. Just a little extra safety insurance as I have never heard one ricochet after shooting hundreds of them at ground hogs, coyotes and other varnits

I'd like to think I was a better shot than Kirsch, but it ain't happening. I do think one reason I have decent success with the 50 v-max is that I'm not pushing them as hard with a 16" barrel so I get a bit more penetration than would happen with a 22-250 around 3,800-3,900 fps. Here is a video I shot several years ago using the same load, same rifle, but unsurpressed. Range about 95 yds. This was a big male coyote.

I've had people say to me looking at this video, well that can happen when you can choose your shot on a bait pile, but calling you don't have the option for a perfect shot. And that's absolutely true, but it doesn't change the fact that if the bullet goes where it is supposed to they look like they've been run over by a train.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI'd like to think I was a better shot than Kirsch, but it ain't happening. I do think one reason I have decent success with the 50 v-max is that I'm not pushing them as hard with a 16" barrel so I get a bit more penetration than would happen with a 22-250 around 3,800-3,900 fps. It is entirely possible that it is speed causing the massive splashes. I like to shoot fast and flat and I doubt I will ever change.

I was having trouble with runners with my 223. I jumped up to 77 gr. HP. They have definitely helped !
My 243 is still the HAMMER but I really like the AR platform in the 223.

If the ar10 wasn’t so darned heavy & expensive I would have one of them instead.

Yeah, I miss the 243 when they get beyond 250 yds., but I've just forced myself to hold off on those longer shots. That has probably cost me a few that I could have killed with the 243. Like Mick says, it is the HAMMER.

I really liked those 35 gr. Bergers when I was shooting the 204. They did a very good job I thought.

Back