NVISION NOX & X Series Thermal Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

REID2168

Thought i would start a thread about the NEW NVision X series units so they could be discussed and shown in their own thread. I was hoping to share vids and mods people may or may not due to their thermal X series gear. Also would like to have people post the humidity and temps when they post their vids so everyone can get a better perspective of different conditions & the performance in those different conditions. Anyone wanting to add their personal perspective from their usage of these NEW X units would be great. I will post links to the units in this first post and would like to keep the discussion to these units and hopefully make a good all around informational reference thread about these units. Thanks in advance for participating if u choose to do so.
thumbup1.gif

NOX 18
https://nvisionoptics.com/product/nox18/

Nox 35
https://nvisionoptics.com/product/nox35/

Halo X35
https://nvisionoptics.com/product/halo-x35/

Halo X50
https://nvisionoptics.com/product/halo-x50/

Halo XRF
https://nvisionoptics.com/product/halo-xrf/

Last edited:
today was the first part of CHRISTMAS and i got my dual Nox 18 from the shipper about two hours ago......never even held thermal of any kind until today......must say its pretty spectacular..i also have a Wilcox mount and a D14 that i will pair them up with to do my walking around....first impressions are AWESOME...one thing i did notice is the battery extenders need better tolerance where the cap goes on as its a bit to tight and wants to back off the extender when removing the cap from the extender on the two units i have BUT if thats the worst ill take it all day as these are GREAT from what i can tell in an hour.
thumbup1.gif

IMG_0015 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0017 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
something i will add already is that in order to get two Nox 18 close enough together for my eyes i removed both gun mounts obviously......then i took the locking V/Dove tail bracket from one of the Nox removed it and put it on the other side of the Nox.....when u do this the pair will move closer together by getting the battery on the outside of each unit like the pic i provided above.

Last edited:
i got my Nox 18s out when dark finally hit and WOW..i have them mounted to the D14 & i can use them like binos....i did realize there was still the slightest cant to the Nox due to the fact they couldnt quite come all the way flush or parallel to the D14 because of the spread between the mounting bolts on the D14 and were still slightly canted outward...the effect was mineskewal and only on the outside edges BUT i wanted it gone.....so as i sat there last night and i removed the bolts holding the dove tails into the base of the D14 then spread the dove tails slightly with the Nox in them until the dove tail was flush to the base.....it was about 1/16" outward on each side so i decided to use a smaller shaft bolt so i could move each dove tail out approx 1/16" increasing the dove tail spread 1/8" total...came out like a DREAM...the dove tails now come flush to the mount with the Nox in place and both viewing screens are as ONE completely...in the first pic i circled the spots where u can see the 1/16" spread i added to each side of the D14..the second pic shows how the dove tails come flush to the D14 now with the added spread and the Nox mounted..only thing i need to do now is get grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

IMG_0021_LI by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

IMG_0023 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
i have looked over my G24 female dove tail insert to male dove tail on the D14 and there is the slightest wiggle which im sure is the way it is with said variances between them....as well i understand the elastic bands from the helmet that help hold the vision device in place help to accomodate for said wiggle....what i found some may have done or want to do is i took a piece of thread doubled it over layed it into one side of the female dove tail v channel as seen below.... now when i install the D14 male dove tail it locks up like it was machined together....the thread can it fall out if u take them loose sure it can BUT when its in there it takes the wiggle out of that connection so less overall wear between the two over time meaning less accumulated wear wiggle over time for the elastic cables to have to compensate for....worked perfect.

IMG_0034 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
I’ve read the front focus ring on the Nox18 is pretty tight. Is this true for your Noxs as well?

Originally Posted By: capitolI’ve read the front focus ring on the Nox18 is pretty tight. Is this true for your Noxs as well?

Yes i would say thats a fair statement...i have yet to find the need to move them once i found the sweet spot for my eyes...but tight would be a good description.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve also read some just set it (focus) and forget it.

Does that mean the Nox18 will be in focus with a subject at 15, 75 even 100 yards once the focus ring is set to your eye?

Seems to me trying to adjust that ring when helmet mounted would be a pain. Also, setting it and forgetting it doesnt work for critters at various yardages if you want them in focus.

Originally Posted By: capitolYeah, I’ve also read some just set it (focus) and forget it.

Does that mean the Nox18 will be in focus with a subject at 15, 75 even 100 yards once the focus ring is set to your eye?

Seems to me trying to adjust that ring when helmet mounted would be a pain. Also, setting it and forgetting it doesnt work for critters at various yardages if you want them in focus.

the two i have look great and perfectly focused from 10 feet to as far as i can see after i set them where i want & theres absolutely no need to refocus anything for any reason.....reading and assuming about them is one thing having them in your hands is another....i dont believe anyone would be disappointed in any way with the performance....i dont know how they work but can assure u that they do without refocusing for every distance.

Last edited:
Thanks Reid. Thats the exact info I wanted to hear. I was afraid if I have one critter at 20 yards and then another one at 80 yards Im going to be fighting to turn that ring to focus all the time.

Where did you buy your Nox’s from?

Originally Posted By: capitolThanks Reid. Thats the exact info I wanted to hear. I was afraid if I have one critter at 20 yards and then another one at 80 yards Im going to be fighting to turn that ring to focus all the time.

no prob & YW....i will shoot a vid thru it with the phone and get some still pics from the unit itself and get them up for review.

Last edited:
There is a difference in 20 yards and 80 yards with the NOX35. You will need to re-focus to get a clear image alittle bit. Also to be perfect NUCing it once in awhile will help. It’s just the price you got pay for an amazingly clear image. It’s the farther ranges you dont need to focus on

Last edited:
update i sent my 2 Nox 18 back......after a few days review i wasnt happy with a couple things and wasnt letting that much coin loose x2 for those few things i didnt like....picture was and is absolutely AWESOME IMO.....either way i wont be adding any more info here as i dont have any.... i also dont intend to air my concerns on this thread..... anyone intersted PM.

Originally Posted By: Brad BaranouskasNVision is the best, REID2168 and Capitol are some jokers

Brad dont ba a CRY BABY & u should worry about your own business.....now what

the problem with your nama callin is i dont say anything i cant back up.....when i mounted my Nox 18 on my lil bolt gun u couldnt even actuate the bolt without it upsetting the screen....watch some vids and educate yourself before u run your mouth so recklessly.....U CRY BABY

VIDEO PROVIDED
IMG_0100 by Stephen Reid, on Flickr

Last edited:
That’s a picture from the NOX not a video, that’s a joke like I said, joker. You wouldn’t know how to get a clear video anyways. Flat lander lol, never cried.
Here’s a real video

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back