Savage Striker Questions

hitman2565

I have been looking at the Savage Strikers and I was wondering what you guys thought of them. I am in Ohio so it would be mainly used for varmint and not big game so what would you suggest for caliber selection? What power scopes are you guys putting on them? I love my handguns and my rifles so I guess this to get the best of both worlds plus I do not have one. Thanks in advance.

Hitman,

I use my Striker for deer, although the thought of carrying
it, and my 10 gauge, loaded with buck, for yotes, has crossed
my mind. I have a .308 Win version, with a Burris 2-7x
Handgun scope on mine. I load a warm W748 load,
driving a 130 gr. Barnes XTB bullet, that chronies at 2775 fps,
15' from the muzzle. It is sub-MOA accurate with these loads,
but since they are loaded right at max, there is enough
muzzle whip, to spin the scope, if I don't use 3 high end
scope mounts.

If I wanted one for varmints, I'd opt for the .243 Win, or a
.22-250 Rem, version. Even a .223 Rem, would be great,
if you can find a good used one.

I love my rifles, and handguns, too, but this is not like
shooting either a handgun, or a rifle. It is kind of like
shooting a rifle without a butt stock. Here in Wisconsin,
the Striker, due to hunting firearms restrictions, in
populated areas, allows me to shoot a rifle cartridge,
in shotgun/muzzleloader/handgun restricted zones.
How cool is that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I tried a T/C Encore pistol config, thinking it would handle
more like a pistol, and although it did feel more like a
pistol, the poorer accuracy, and having to fish out a spend
cartridge, with cold weather gloves, has sent the T/C
to the trading block. And has me getting the Striker
ready for the upcoming deer firearms season. FWIW,
I really like my Striker, and the deer do not.

Squeeze

Hitman,

I've got the Striker in 7mm08, as well as the Encore 15" in .243. I like them both, and if you practice loading the Encore in the field, keeping the ammo wrapped around your wrist or somewhere close, you can approximate the time it takes to load the Striker.
I've also got a Burris 2x7 on my Striker, and a newer 2X7 Weaver on my .243. Both are good scopes, but the bigger objective lens on the Burris makes for a much wider field of view.
Some of the caliber offerings in the Striker have changed and I'm not so sure the original ones are still available. I know the .308 and 7mm08 are still there, but I had heard that the .22-250 is no longer. I think possibly the .243 still is though.

In the 7mm08, with a 42.5gr. load of Varget under a 120gr. Nosler BT, or Hornady VMax, and a Federal 210M primer, I'm getting 2655 fps, and 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 100yds.
The long range performance is astounding.

My .243 (Encore) shoots just as tight, or better, so it's more personal preference really.

Take care,
Bob

The Burris may have a larger field of view but it is not because of the objective lens size. Field of view is determined by 3 things only:
occular diameter, bigger=more FOV
eye relief, less eye relief=more FOV
power setting, less power=more FOV

Jack

Hitman-- my Savage Striker is a custom rig with a 16" 8twist Broughton barrel braked with a Leupold 4.5-14X LR/VH reticle/target elevation turret. This rig was built specifically for long-range coyotes.

One of my hunting partners just purchased a factory Striker 22-250, and we just put some loads together to test at the range soon. If it shoots well it should give us some good downarange performance.

Jack,

You might have a point there....not sure.

But, the main and obvious difference between the two scopes is the size of the objectives.
The occular lens on the Weaver that I have on the .243, is (without measuring) very similar in size to the Burris, as is the eye relief. If I take any of my straight tubed Leupold 2x pistol scopes, in comparison to one with a larger objective (at that power) the larger objective scopes "seem" to have a much larger field of view.
Eye relief on both is identical.

Like I said, you could be right there. I'm sure other factors very well could be involved, but does one area have more physical influence on the field of view over another ?

Take care,
Bob

I also have a 7mm-08 with the Burris 2x-7x and it may be the single most accurate gun I own. The only thng I own that is close is my AR with a Krieger barrel. I can shoot 139 grain SST's into 3/4" at 200 yards off of a bipod and sandbag with the Striker. I have a buddy with a .260 and his is as accurate as mine is.

Fast Ed

My local gun store has a new 22-250 that is a leftover. I am not sure what to do as others have suggested the Encore which I have looked into also. I have also thought about ksfastman1's 223 Striker. Do you guys have enough power range with the 2-7 scopes for varmint such as woodchucks?

Hitman,

I guess the 2X7 Burris has always served me pretty well. I used to have it on my 14" TC in .357 Max.

When I got the Striker, I bolted it on that because it's FOV was larger than the others I had.
If you want more power, there's always the Burris 3X9's, and I think they also have a 4X12.
For a gun as accurate as the Striker, me personally, doing it over again (or something maybe in the future) I'd probably opt for something with a little more than what I have.
But, I wouldn't want to get anything higher than a 4 power on the low end, if I could avoid it.
Now that I got the bipod on my Striker, I can outshoot the scope (2X7) pretty easily.
It's a sawed off rifle really, and the minimum that most guys put on their rifles, if they choose a variable, is 3X9's or more.

Plus my eyes are starting to go south on me, which doesn't help much.
I think if I could only choose one caliber in the Striker, I might opt out for the .243 as an "all around" choice.
The velocity and accuracy that I get out of my 15" .243 Encore barrel with several bullet weight's is great.

Take care
Bob

Back