Buck fever

Heymartay

Been awhile since I’ve shot a deer ,but I was thinking that if I WAS deer hunting and had a whopper buck come by I really don’t think I would get buck fever. After hunting coyotes pretty heavy the last 30 years or so, day and night I just think I’m past the freak out stage. I really don’t think I’ve ever had buck or coyote fever, I get excited for sure but I don’t lose my cool, guess always making sure of what I’m shooting and when to shoot keeps my mind on business. Just a thought while I’m waiting for the season to start. Heard that are coyote coat company has caved to the greenies, any word on prices yet?

Whether it's a Coyote locked on seconds before the trigger pull...

51428020805_1c2d007549_k.jpg

Or it's a 170" whitetail tearin velvet off right in front of you...

51427289733_b7be8ccfb7_k.jpg

Possibly a Bull within 3 yards smashing Russian Olives, so close Your ear drums are pierced by his bugle, as you can see the veins in the whites of his eyes, staring you down.

51428041120_f20e6ff911_b.jpg

They all get me cranked, I get an adrenaline flow every time, whether I'm doing the actual deed of killing, or I'm shooting with the shutter, it's the same exact Rush for me.
The key is... Can you control it.

I had years of 3-D archery and I really think that helped me from getting buck fever. But after the shot and I now it was a good hit, I pee down both legs.

I was a mule deer hunting addict long before I seriously started hunting coyotes. Without a doubt, coyote calling has made me a much better deer hunter than I was before. Pulling the trigger on dozens of coyotes every year is the best simulation I can get for deer hunting. I'm able to set up and pull the trigger on a deer with more confidence and speed than I did 20 years ago. Three years ago I made a shot on a big coues buck that I know I could not have made 20 years ago.

Making a shot under field conditions is much more difficult than shooting at targets in a controlled situation. I still get excited and get buck fever on coyotes, deer, elk, etc but can quickly control it and perform. 20 years ago I remember taking a minute or two to calm my nerves before pulling the trigger on a big old muley. The deer was bedded less than 200 yards away and I didn't have to rush the shot when I had the shakes. Now I can quickly set up and shoot as soon as the buck gives me the first good shot opportunity.

40 years ago I hung around some well known archery magazine writers. The shop had a range in the basement. We had a game, buck an arrow. Winner gets the pot. A Ritz cracker on 2 fish hooks suspended about 3' in front of a target. 19 yards must separate the hook and lines to win. Often an edge shot would roll the cracker on edge. Sometimes 12-15 dollar one arrow pots, often saw real good target shooters fall apart with money on the line. Find the way to practice with pressure, makes the game easier and "slower". That little range game, made college free throws easy as I never was distracted.

The rush I get is the reason I hunt and if the rush ever stops coming that's when I know it is time to find a new hobby

ohmy.gif
I have shot Elk, bear, deer, antelope and nothing gets me shaking like a coyote with his head down running straight at me ready to fight.

After several years of Deer Hunting then Hunting Predators it has helped Me be a much better Hunter....as several mentioned after the shot is when You can relax and let out the pressure You were under...staying calm and doing what You set out to do after working all year is what its all about.

I still get excited when a nice Buck comes in...but have learned to enjoy it it after its down and out.I get more Excited when a Young Hunter accomplishes thier goal and is successful....its more rewarding helping others as You get older!

Back