CHEAP THERMAL TARGETS

Pa. Mick

Thermal targets :

I think you guys will like these for about $8.00

Thermal targets :
These 1010 (1”x1” ) 100 pcs./  zip lock baggies filled with water & froze make awesome targets for sighting in your thermal !!! Put them in a little cooler with an ice pack when going to the range and just use a push pin or thumb tack to fasten to a cardboard target 
w00t.gif

Here's the link ~ http://www.ebay.com/str/vbagpackaging

I've used a similar ice target and it does work. Until you hit it. Then it explodes and leaves a large cold splash signature. Just have a large enough background to move the next ice block far enough away or have extra backgrounds.
What I use now is a 12"x12" 1" thick piece of foam board with a 1" square cut out in the center. I put a ice cube in it and then cover it with duct tape to hold the ice in place. Then I cover it with a sheet of notebook paper so that I can see my POI's. Basically the same idea.

I use hand warmers or toe warmers, just open the package, and staple it to the target board, mainly I use them to check zero and make sure point of impact did not move.. They don't get destroyed when you hit them.. Also because they are white you can see the hits pretty good with your spotting scope..

I found the bloom from these were to large. I cut the toe warmer in about 1” squares and scotch tape the edges to hold the powder in. Works pretty good !

I'm a fan of "aim small miss small" so I buy a roll of HVAC tape and cut it into small 1/2" straps about 8" long, make a cross with a 1/2" open center on a piece of cardboard, much more economical, smaller aiming point and can be shot unlike handwarmers or ice packs.

You can shoot a 3/5 round group, cover it with another piece of tape and adjust your scope to that POI so it saves ammo as well!

I'm a fan of "aim small miss small" also. I also use hvac tape when I have sunlight. My range is very shaded, in the woods. It’s nice seeing you guys sharing what you use & have tried
thumbup1.gif

I work in HVAC so I have lots of foil tape laying around. White foam board with a thin cross open in the center slanted slightly towards the sky works well for me. I also cut some 1/2 in squares to cover my shots to help zero to the spot of impact.

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEI use hand warmers or toe warmers, just open the package, and staple it to the target board, mainly I use them to check zero and make sure point of impact did not move.. They don't get destroyed when you hit them.. Also because they are white you can see the hits pretty good with your spotting scope..

I also use the small hand warmers. They take hits even from my 6.5 creedmoor and keep going.

Originally Posted By: decanuckLids from soup/tuna/vegetable cans...
I have been using that method for the last three years since I first got a thermal scope. There are Pros and Cons to it,
but is my preferred method.

Pros: Nice, clean and round glowing target

Cons: It gets cold quickly and loses the nice glow. If sighting at a short distance, you can heat it up and get back to the
rifle quickly for a couple of shots before it goes cold again.

50967008976_65a11794db_c.jpg

Heat the can lid up with a small butane torch.

50967033711_abf37419f3_c.jpg

Two shots at 60 yards.

50967007321_b0bf30dcfa_c.jpg

Back