School me on the 6.5 Grendel

Never played with anything other than .223/Wylde/5.56 in the AR Platform. Decided on a whim to get an Odin Works 6.5 Grendel barrel with adj gas block and tube along with their brake. Anything I should know going in? it is an 18" stainless barrel. Probably put a Geissele rail on it. Maybe SLR.

Curious as to what other recommended or "must haves" I need. Dont know yet if I am going to get a fitted billet upper/lower or roll with a standard milspec forged set.

Thoughts?

Also plan to handload for it and already have a bunch of components.

EDIT: Got a Next Level Armament matched receiver set from Primary Arms along with a seekins rail. Also Snagged a Geissele G2S trigger on sale plus upgraded takedown pins, safety and dust cover.

Last edited:
I have a few Grendels, have the 6mm ARC as well. The Grendel is a nice cartridge for the AR platform as is the 6.8 SPC. Both offer better down range performance over the .223.

My favorite powder, and one that is very popular among Grendel reloaders, is IMR 8208XBR. Unfortunately it is hard to come by.

As for a good hunting bullet, I've stuck with Hornady's 123gr SST.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remThank you for the info, Bowhuntr, I will keep digging. Any recommendations on Mags that are gtg?
I’ve had zero issues using the mags I got from midway. Stoner brand.

Originally Posted By: Zastava223remThank you for the info, Bowhuntr, I will keep digging. Any recommendations on Mags that are gtg?

Zero issues with ASC magazines in both the 5 round and 10 round variety.

Set up for night hunting.

A pair of 6.5G's... 20" and 18", both with Ballistic Advantage barrels, which I think BA is no longer in the 6.5G barrel making business.

Last edited:
I love the Grendel. Just a great cartridge while remaining in the AR15 platform. I didn't have much luck at all with the 123 SST's on coyotes. Just wasn't happy with the lack of expansion. Once I switched to the 90gr TNT's, things got much better.

[/img]

Last edited:
Back