When do you start hunting?

Kansan

When is your preferred time to “start (and end) the season”? We can hunt coyotes year round here in Kansas, but I don’t usually start calling until October. I’ll hunt through March, about 6 months out of the year.

I know many folks like to stay after them all year long, but I prefer to have an off season. For both the coyotes, and myself. Too dang hot and buggy here to hunt in the summer! I’m too busy fishing anyhow.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
For me I usually start hunting predators in later October when it cools and the furs thicken up and hunt until I've had enough or it warms up and the furs begin to respond to the heat. That is petty much the Cold (down to -50) and snow months.

The only time I DON'T hunt coyotes is when I'm hunting anything else, Even when Fishing I have a call and often use it.
Something 24/7/365.

The only reason I utilize an "off season" for Coyotes is their fur is not prime, or they are starting to rub.

Being in a location where we can actually harvest them, makes a lot of sense to me. UNLESS, we get called in for some depredation work, then it's no holds barred.

Same as skinney. I like coyotes, no sense killing them if I can't use them or someone is having a real problem with them. I make. Few forays out and let them go untill they look good.

I like to start in October once most of the crops are out and it cools down and hunt until March.

I strongly disagree with hunting coyotes while they are trying to raise pups during spring/summer unless they are actually causing issues with livestock or pets.

Someone who hunts year round recreationally but only kills a dozen or two coyotes (most hunters here)...

Probably isn't affecting the population nearly as much as the guy who kills 100+ between Oct-March.

Most predator hunters aren't selling fur for various reasons (not legal, not worth it, etc) so prime or not doesn't matter other than photo ops.

Do it however you want.

I usually start in October when the fur buyer takes them. Usually go into March as long as the fur buyer will take them. Have had many opportunities in the last 2 weeks, but holding out on them right now.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGSomeone who hunts year round recreationally but only kills a dozen or two coyotes (most hunters here)...
Probably isn't affecting the population nearly as much as the guy who kills 100+ between Oct-March.
Most predator hunters aren't selling fur for various reasons (not legal, not worth it, etc) so prime or not doesn't matter other than photo ops here and also on some of the best jeeps are https://jeephunter.net/ here.

Do it however you want.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Sept - Doves
Oct - coyotes, Dusky Grouse, & rabbit

used to hunt furbearers as of last year, but the powers that be in anti-hunting groups, including the CO parks & Wildlife decided to require a new Furbearer stamp to hunt all except coyote. So these {censored} people can "tax" us out of hunting. First it was the Habitat stamp to double dip us, now the extra to hunt furries. Also, the cost of licenses have risen to all-time highs.

Colorado sucks because they let the voters decide wildlife management issues, case in point, the reintroduction of wolves to the state. Gonna spend millions to reintro them to a state theyre already infiltrating to. And, like the reintro of the Lynx, itll put restrictions on hunting and land management.

Rant over..... for now.

Rifle deer season here starts Nov 1 so I usually start in the last week of October to get a few days in before the road warriors take flight. Won't go real hard until end of Nov when the fur is full prime.

I won't go until it cools off and the bugs are gone. My decision has nothing to do with fur or problem coyotes. I work outside and refuse to sweat for anything that doesn't pay me for it. After 2 years my 8 yr old has finally learned that and stopped asking me about coyote hunting in the summertime.

Side note for the OP. Today, 5 miles west of Oakley I heard a coyote howl at 10a.m. Very strange.

Back