Using electronic callers to hunt Eurasian Collared Dove?

derbyacresbob

Have any of you guys heard of anyone using a e-caller to hunt Eurasian Collared Dove?

Is it legal to use a e-caller to hunt Eurasian Collared Dove in the state you live in?

As vocal and as noisy as the Eurasian Collared Dove are I would think that Eurasian Collared Dove sounds would help bring them in.

In California you can't legally use a e-caller but you can hunt the Eurasian Collared dove year round with no limit. I am going to try to get the California Fish and Game Commission to add Eurasian Collared Dove to the list of birds and animals that can be taken while using a e-caller.

In the last 3 days I have recorded plenty of Eurasian Collared Dove sounds.

Please let me know if it is legal in your state to use e-callers on Eurasian Collared Dove or if you have heard of anybody doing it.

Thanks

Bob

In Illinois I think they’re an invasive, there’s a few around down south. The way doves are when I used to shoot doves was find a dead tree in the open if possible and put the moving decoy in it with other decoys by it. They see them from aways away and home on on it. I would think movement would be more important than sound. In Phoenix they’re all over the place and at my daughters in grand junction they’re everywhere and yea they make a lot of noise, but that’s in town where they’re just a nuisance. I do think they have flight paths they use visually. Hope this may help but I haven’t shot a dove in awhile.Pellet gun would rule in town.

In Oklahoma, although the Eurasian Collared Doves are primarily a city bird, they are still regulated by the Wildlife Department. Special possession and bag limits have been set up for them but currently e-callers are not allowed when hunting dove.

Last edited:
I don’t believe in Missouri electronic calls are legal for migratory birds, except for the special spring snow goose season. We do use the dove spinning wing decoys with pretty good success.

It would be great if the states that have year round open seasons and no limits on Eurasian Collared Dove would make it legal to use e-callers.

Unfortunately in Iowa they are a migratory bird and regulated with our mourning doves (count to your limit also). So no callers.

Federally they are not migratory birds, we can shoot them with rifles even in the states that do not consider them migratory.

I'm sure it would work if they are anything like a mourning (I haven't seen/shot enough to know), I can turn a mourning 180deg with a cooing call when dove hunting.

I found out in California they are considered a Upland Game bird so electronic callers can not be used to take Eurasian Collared Dove. We can can hunt them year round and there are no limits on the amount of them we can take.

Back