I want to challenge myself this year.

AWS

Retired PM Staff
I love calling coyotes, just going out and calling them is fun.

I've been killing coyote pretty regularly with a number of weapons over the years, drillings, combo guns, bolt actions, ARs and shotguns.

This year is time to challenge myself a little.

This past year I picked up a new/old shotgun 150+ year old sxs and yesterday loaded some brass shells with BP and #2 shot, I didn't want to strain the old Damascus barrels with large shot so will need to get them in close.

Yesterday after loading the shots shells I dug out the old 54.cal flintlock, gave it a good cleaning, knapped a new edge on the flint and decided this would be fun as my eyesight has deteriorated to the point that open sights are more than a challenge. A few years ago I file the rear sight open enough so I can see light on either side of the front sight off a rest I should be good to 75 yards.

Last is the bow, I bought a new bow and have been shooting it quite a bit, it should be good to 40 yards if I can get them to stand still long enough.

This morning I took the caller and range finder and found I could range the caller to at least 40 yards which will make ranging shots with these short range rigs easier.

Anyone else going to challenge themselves a little this season?

I hope you can come along on a hunt or two and shoot back up or take the ones that are out of range for me.

Been thinking about taking my 54 flintlock out calling myself,think I would have a pretty good chance to about 80 yards or so,good luck on your adventure

6-7 trips, I hoping night temps in the 40's. Have a contact about an hour from where I expect to hunt, going to ask if they will help. Then the rest would be out next morning.

AWS,

I haven't made any specific goals for this year yet but I've wanted to get one with my bow for a while. I would also like to get one with a handgun. Last year I had a goal to kill one with a muzzleloader as practice/confidence builder before a deer hunt. I was able to get a coyote with my muzzleloader but it wasn't fur friendly.

We can try to reach some of those goals when we go calling together this year. My biggest concern with the bow coyote is trying to draw back without being spotted and having them run off before I have a chance to shoot. I was able to get a red fox a number of years while I was archery hunting for pronghorn. Every time I try to draw my bow on a coyote, they won't hold still so I can shoot them.

We'll work on it. I'm practicing shooting from my chair and will be looking for some bow specific stands. I think the mesquite dunes would be ideal with the right wind and some dumb coyotes. I might even go out with my lopers and prep a few a month before I start hunting. I'll try and set up some of them for different winds.

AWS,

Dumb coyotes are exactly what we will need if we want to get one with a bow. I may only attempt to call the Southern NM coyotes 3 or 4 mornings in September an October but I'll hopefully be able to get out a dozen or so days in November and December.

Best of luck with your challenge. Sounds like fun. I had similar thoughts myself. I've killed a bunch of deer with a rifle and compound bow, same with an inline muzzle loader but I've never killed a deer with a recurve. Killed pigs with a long bow and ash arrows but never a deer. I'm thinking that may be my challenge this year. Best of luck to you sir.

Still laughing about the GED...! LMAO 🤣

I've shot at a few Coyotes when I was Bow Hunting...missed them but it was interesting.I have a crossbow now so it should be a little easier now?If a Coyote comes in You can be sure I will do my best to shoot it....using an Older in line Muzzle Loader would be pretty interesting indeed....Good Luck!

Back