Bca gen 2 side charging upper affect accuracy?

Toro

I would like to put the bca gen 2 side charging upper on my rock river coyote carbine. I think it would make charging the gun easier because I always have a thermal optic on the gun. First question is if it would be compatible with the rock river.? Second question is would it effect the rifles accuracy? The gun shoots sub moa and I don’t want to mess that up if the new side charging upper would effect it. Any information or experience will this upper would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Art

The bca sidecharging uppers are all we use anymore for hunting Ar's. I lap the receiver face and torque the barrel nut. They will have no affect on accuracy and your bolt is still head spaced the same.

Last edited:
I would think it will fit fine on your Rock River lower, it fit fine on an Aero precision lower I built. and no it won't affect accuracy. this was a pistol build in 7.62x39 because I always wanted to try it. I have AKs AND SKS's but always wanted to do an AR47.

pzbO5cg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I have the older rra coyote carbine with the tubular fore end. Do you think it will marry up to that with no problem? Forgive me if it’s a dumb question, I am not that familiar with the actual assembly of the ar. I’ve only pulled it apart enough to clean it.

Everything will be gtg.

I think side chargers are perfect for hunting. I wish more companies offered side charging options. I even want to convert my DPMS G2 308 to side charging (but no one offers stripped uppers and I can’t seem to find a shop that will do it).

Originally Posted By: ToroThanks guys. I have the older rra coyote carbine with the tubular fore end. Do you think it will marry up to that with no problem? Forgive me if it’s a dumb question, I am not that familiar with the actual assembly of the ar. I’ve only pulled it apart enough to clean it.

the only difference between one of their side chargers and a traditional rear charger is the method of charging the gun.

otherwise as far as i'm aware the specs for the upper are "mil spec" including the rail height, takedown and pivot pin hole locations, etc.

they will mate up with any mil spec ar15 lower.

as far as moving your barrel/foreend over, no problems there either.

hth

the only drawback to their side chargers is they require an Allen wrench to break them down (removing the charging handle from the bolt) on both the gen1 and gen2 uppers.

Yea that new frontier looks pretty cool. I think it’s cheaper also. Maybe I’ll go that route. Yes I’d like to use my existing barrel cause I’m really happy with the way the gun shoots.

On BCA you can, which I do frequently. I'm guessing (the reason I asked the question) the non-reciprocating types, you can't, which would necessitate a forward assist. I agree with varminter, have to have some mechanism to forward assist for my purposes.

The NFA side charger does not have a forward assist but neither do the thousands of slick side uppers that are being used throughout the US.
You also don't have to buy a special bolt carrier or drill and tap your bolt carrier with the NFA upper.

The bolt handle on the nfa upper cannot be used as a forward assist.

Man I don’t know. I think being able to manipulate that bolt with the handle might be pretty important if there’s a malfunction. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Knock on wood I’ve never had a malfunction with this particular gun but it sounds like I may need tools to clear a malfunction if I can’t use the handle to manipulate the bolt.

If you are clearing a malfunction I'd only be concerned with opening the bolt, not forcing it closed with the bolt handle or forward assist.
The only plus I see to a forward assist is if you like to ride the bolt forward slowly instead of pulling it back and letting go like you are supposed to.

Originally Posted By: crapshootIf you are clearing a malfunction I'd only be concerned with opening the bolt, not forcing it closed with the bolt handle or forward assist.
The only plus I see to a forward assist is if you like to ride the bolt forward slowly instead of pulling it back and letting go like you are supposed to.

thats the only thing i've ever used my forward assist for - loading up my gun quietly when trying to sneak into a hunting stand. you can accomplish this with a reciprocating charging handle system. just a quick bump on the CH to finish seating into battery much quieter than letting the bolt drop to chamber a round.

otherwise - there is almost NO circumstance in civilian use that would necessitate the use of the forward assist to finish chambering a round.

if the gun doesnt go into battery under normal spring tension, stop and figure out why - dont force the bolt into battery.

That's what I do with mine. Like to operate it as quietly as possible when I slip in to a stand and have forgotten to charge a round at the pickup. Seem to do that fairly often.

Back