CCI no 41 primers

ILPredHunter12

Hey guys, just a quick question. I have an abundance of CCI no 41 small rifle ""military"" primers. My question for you is, are these considered a magnum primer and should I back down on my powder load or is this just another sales gimmick to get a couple more bucks out of people?

Sorry if this is a dumb question I just don't wanna blow my hand off or half of my face or anything lol

Thanks, Pred

I wouldn't think of them as a mag small rifle primer, that's the 450's. CCI contracts law enforcement range ammo, the 41 is "designed" for 556 ammo. Slam fire protection and ball powder ignition performance.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI wouldn't think of them as a mag small rifle primer, that's the 450's. CCI contracts law enforcement range ammo, the 41 is "designed" for 556 ammo. Slam fire protection and ball powder ignition performance.

Awesome thank you. Just wanted to double check.

I have two rifles/loads that i use CCI #41's with. Both of them use H4895. One rifle shoots Sierra 55gr BTHP and the other shoots Hornady 75 grain OTM's.

The 55 grain load shoots 50 fps+ faster over the chrono vs about 4 other primers i tested. The 75 grain load shoots a full 100fps faster than the others. It is enough to get overpressure if you worked up a load with another primer. Then switched.

That could just be H4895.

I always back down at least 1/2 grain or more, depending on the caliber, when switching primers

You are not going to blow your hand or face off unless you do something way way out of line. In reality you ruin your brass.

How you blow stuff your equipment is double charging pistol cases or putting lots of the wrong rifle powder into a rifle. Shooting another round into the back of a squib and such.....

This article "Chosing the Right Primer: A Primer on Primers" has crossed my path twice this week alone, and I've read it a few times before. It states in part:
Quote:CCI/Speer Technical Services says: "The CCI 400 primer does have a thinner cup bottom than CCI 450, #41 or BR4 primers... with the CCI #41 primer... there is more 'distance' between the tip of the anvil and the bottom of the cup." so that is their AR15 recommendation, although it seems like there are no complaints with using the BR4 and 450 primers by AR15 shooters and reloaders, in general.  The #41 just gives you a little more safety margin for free-floating firing pins and would be the best choice for commercial reloaders who have no control over the rifles their .223 ammo is used in.
Also:
Quote:CCI #41 - commercial version of the fully-qualified DOD primer for use in U.S. military ammo.  With this primer there is more 'distance' between the tip of the anvil and the bottom of the cup than with other CCI SR primers.  .025" thick cup.  Same primer mix as CCI 450.
This article says 41's have the same primer mix and cup thickness as 450's. Sounds to me like 41's are magnums.

The whole article is a good read and one to bookmark for future reference.

The CCI and Winchester #41 designation means a thicker primer cup specifically designed for 5.56 Nato rounds in a Semi-automatic or select fire firearm. Dont know if they are a little hotter as I have no way to test it. Not a bad primer but dont expect CCI BR4 or CCI 450 kinda precision from them. They work well for their intended use.

Back