Meopta Optika 6 Review 3x18x50mm MRAD & 5x30x56mm MRAD

Kino M

Staff member
Took the Meopta plunge and actually bought two different scopes after some pretty extensive reading and talking to some trusted guys. I purchased the 3x18x50mm for a MK12 and a 5x30x56mm for a custom bolt gun.

My initial impressions is wow! You get a LOT of scope for the money! I have both scopes mounted but haven't had a lot of time for comparison against some of my other scopes. I will continue to post on this thread as I go.

Today 8/14/21 I took the 5x30x56mm MRAD, mounted it to a custom 308, Stiller action, Rock Creek barrel, AI chassis, Jewel 9oz. trigger, SAS Reaper suppressor.

Rifle is a SUPER accurate well proven test platform. I was zeroed at 100yd in 3 shots. I ran the gun all the way to 600 and back, shot some fast strings all dialing for different DOPE and the scope tracked and returned to zero flawlessly. The reticle is spot on using holdover as well. Mechanically it done everything I asked it to, feels really robust, turrets have really nice positive clicks that you feel and hear. Changing zeros is super easy with the turret design, zero stop works well. Very well thought out mechanical turret design. Fired around 45 rounds and it was as good as you could ask for dialing.

Reticle and glass.... this is subjective so here it goes.
I shoot long range steel and PRS so I'm a mils guy and chose the MRAD option. Its a Christmas tree mil based and I actually prefer the MRAD of the 5x30 over the MRAD of the 3x18. They have only one option for MRAD and they are somewhat different. Both are very usable but I prefer the 30x better. Both scopes are FFP and both are usable at low power unlike a lot of scopes. Both have a super fine floating center dot that I LOVE and allows for some really small groups to be shot.

Glass... I didn't go extensive and post an eye chart at 300 to test against other scopes but will when I get time. I did however have at my range today a few other scopes for some quick reference and those included a Nightforce NXS 3x15x50mm, NX8 4x32x50mm, Burris XTRii 4x20x50mm and an SWFA 5x20x50mm HD. The meopta blew away the Burris, was better than my NXS and SWFA and on par with the NX8 4x32 as far as resolution and detail. It was humid and gloomy, lots of mirage so it was hard to get great comparisons but I will work on it.

So closing on today's time at the range, the Meopta for the money is an OUTSTANDING scope and had my buddy wondering why he paid twice the amount for an NX8! If it holds up long term its a real winner.

Last edited:
Outstanding! Great to hear you were able to get one of the 5-30's. Once folks started to find out what you have found out, bang, they were snapped up. I look forward to reading more from you and your hands-on experiences with the Optika6. I have one sitting on a Bergara LRP 6.5CM and I couldn't be happier. I also have the 4.5-27 sitting on another 6.5 CM. Once you look through a Meopta scope it's easy to see why they are known for quality glass worldwide.

Originally Posted By: Kino MTook the Meopta plunge and actually bought two different scopes after some pretty extensive reading and talking to some trusted guys. I purchased the 3x18x50mm for a MK12 and a 5x30x56mm for a custom bolt gun.

My initial impressions is wow! You get a LOT of scope for the money! I have both scopes mounted but haven't had a lot of time for comparison against some of my other scopes. I will continue to post on this thread as I go.

Awesome review. Been pondering one for months. Really wish the Mrad reticle they offered in the 5-30 was what they had in the 3-18. That mrad reticle with the circle seems out of place any where but an ar specific scope and gets in the road for important wind holds from what i can see just looking at pictures.
Today 8/14/21 I took the 5x30x56mm MRAD, mounted it to a custom 308, Stiller action, Rock Creek barrel, AI chassis, Jewel 9oz. trigger, SAS Reaper suppressor.

Rifle is a SUPER accurate well proven test platform. I was zeroed at 100yd in 3 shots. I ran the gun all the way to 600 and back, shot some fast strings all dialing for different DOPE and the scope tracked and returned to zero flawlessly. The reticle is spot on using holdover as well. Mechanically it done everything I asked it to, feels really robust, turrets have really nice positive clicks that you feel and hear. Changing zeros is super easy with the turret design, zero stop works well. Very well thought out mechanical turret design. Fired around 45 rounds and it was as good as you could ask for dialing.

Reticle and glass.... this is subjective so here it goes.
I shoot long range steel and PRS so I'm a mils guy and chose the MRAD option. Its a Christmas tree mil based and I actually prefer the MRAD of the 5x30 over the MRAD of the 3x18. They have only one option for MRAD and they are somewhat different. Both are very usable but I prefer the 30x better. Both scopes are FFP and both are usable at low power unlike a lot of scopes. Both have a super fine floating center dot that I LOVE and allows for some really small groups to be shot.

Glass... I didn't go extensive and post an eye chart at 300 to test against other scopes but will when I get time. I did however have at my range today a few other scopes for some quick reference and those included a Nightforce NXS 3x15x50mm, NX8 4x32x50mm, Burris XTRii 4x20x50mm and an SWFA 5x20x50mm HD. The meopta blew away the Burris, was better than my NXS and SWFA and on par with the NX8 4x32 as far as resolution and detail. It was humid and gloomy, lots of mirage so it was hard to get great comparisons but I will work on it.

So closing on today's time at the range, the Meopta for the money is an OUTSTANDING scope and had my buddy wondering why he paid twice the amount for an NX8! If it holds up long term its a real winner.

Fairchase93 did you have a comment, you quoted my post but didn't say anything!!

A couple of differences and comments.... The windage turret is capped on the 18x and exposed on the 30x. Both have nice solid clicks but I prefer a capped windage over exposed and hopefully scope manufactures will move to this, Nightforce NX8 is this way. 99.9% of real shooters hold off for wind and movers. Its simply not practical to dial wind because its rarely constant, as is running animals or Taliban. I understand that once your past 375 yards that spin drift starts to come into play but its very minimal so unless your shooting a static target at very long range repetitively there's not much need to dial windage IMO.

Neither of the scopes have revolution lines on them which I like to have as a quick reference. It does have a zero stop to go back and figure where you are BUT I shoot/hangout with mostly ex military and LEO so its not uncommon for your scope dial to "magically" be on the wrong revolution or a giant peni$ get drawn on your ammo box while your not looking.....
My 30x has a tick over 20mils of elevation after I'm zeroed so that gets me well past my rifles capability (12.5mils gets me subsonic at my density altitude)

Illumination... Very nice rheostat control with off positions between levels. Works nice in no/low light. Its not really very daylight bright but it shouldn't be, its NOT an LPVO used for CQB!! I don't know the battery life so maybe I can read the manual. Both scopes come with a cattail and has multiple holes on the power ring for you to put it where you want, very nice feature but in all honesty the power ring is really nice oversized, turns easy and has some rubber on it for grip so a cattail is really not necessary.

Thats it for now, I'll post more later.

Last edited:
Dont know what happened to my comment with that. Mostly i just said ive been considering one for months. Im looking hard at the 3-18 just for the capped windage you mention. Windage is the dial that always gets inadvertently messed with.

Based on pictures i just really wish the mrad reticle in the 5-30 was the same as the one in the 3-18. That half circle in the 3-18 mrad just looks like its in the way for windholds i would want to use. I dont really get why they made the 2 different mrad reticles and only offer them in certain power ranges. I currently run both moa and mil and the reticle choices lack in both on the 3-18 models.

Based on everything ive seen though even with what seem like less than ideal reticle choices it looks like a lot of bang for your buck. I made up my mind to get one ordered its just a matter of which reticle to me....

The Optika6 3-18x50 FFP that I have has the Zplus reticle. I chose it because of the added drops I can dial in with Strelok Pro. I have done some freelance work with Meopta over the last 3 years and I have been impressed with what they bring to the table. European quality construction by a company that is known for their quality glass and the reason other major manufacturers buy their glass from Meopta. Hard to beat Meopta's quality and value. Reach out to Doug at Cameraland and he can hook you up, he might even be able to save you some money. Feel free to drop me a note with any questions.

Back