new build caliber options

MISportsman

Between extra parts and a good deal on a stag-15 blemished lower I'm starting another build. I however can't decide on a caliber. I already have a 5.56, 6.5 grendel, and just finished a .450 bushmaster build. I'm kind of looking into 6.8 spc, but also considering 7.62x39 even though I have a sks or possibly even another 6.5 grendel. I do hunt deer and hogs with most if my ARs. Thoughts???

What’s going to be your primary use for the rifle? I have no experience with hogs, but 6.8SPC is good for deer. If you’re looking to get into a varmint/predator setup, 22 Nosler and 204 Ruger would be top of the list. I’ve been back and forth on trying the 6mm ARC myself.

Do you reload? If so, that opens up the options.

Probably deer and hogs will be my primary use. I have been told good things about the 6mm arc, but I'm not sold. Seems to be a good varmint round, but not sure on bigger. I do reload which is one of the appeals of the 6.8, but I'm very open to other options.

For factory produced ammo 22 Nosler or 6 arc no shorter than 20" . I would only be interested in a slower twist 6 arc that will handle the 55 to 75 grain pills. I much prefer the 6 mm wildcats done on the 6.8 case but nothing available from the factory.

Last edited:
Well, just for fun, do a 6x45. Sweetest little AR round you'll ever play with. Deer or hog, it'll whack em. Very easy to load and extremely accurate.

If I were to build something other than, I'd go in the direction of a .243 LBC for the more breezy days and or bigger game.

I've often thought a .20 prac would be pretty sweet, easy and fun for smaller varmints. I guess alot depends on what you want to do with it.

Originally Posted By: Foxpro.223If I were to build something other than, I'd go in the direction of a .243 LBC for the more breezy days and or bigger game.

I've often thought a .20 prac would be pretty sweet, easy and fun for smaller varmints. I guess alot depends on what you want to do with it.

Both great choices and easy to work with. I have both barrels from Ritch. The LBC has lots of horsepower for my needs and the 20 PRAC just puts a smile on your face at the speed and price of brass.

Greg

Getting a lot of great ideas, but even though I do reload I'm just getting started in it so I would like to stick to something that there is factory ammo available for.

IMHO if you are settling in to a factory load the 6.8 would be fine for your needs. Also I would at least look over the 300 HAM'R or the 350 Legend as they will fill the bill for your two stated interests. They do have a bit of cool factor and a different approach but then we all don't like the same TV shows do we?

greg

Hmm somehow I missed the usage being deer and hogs. An 18" 6.8 would be my choice with 90 gold dots. I've never killed or shot at a deer with either but I've heard the 90 gold dot is the ticket and it shoots the same poi with 90 TNT's out of mine.

Last edited:
Based on your needs, the 6.8 SPC fits the bill. I’ve shot a lot of deer with my Noveske 12.5” 6.8 and none have run more than 30 yards, most drop where they stand. I shoot a Nosler 110 accubond through mine. The 6.8 is also a proven hog hammer, tons of videos on YouTube.

From what I see you limited to Wilson combat and it isn't cheap. With limited choice what if you barrel doesn't like those loads? I guess nothing factory is too cheap but I like options.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223From what I see you limited to Wilson combat and it isn't cheap. With limited choice what if you barrel doesn't like those loads? I guess nothing factory is too cheap but I like options.
That's what I'm finding researching it too. I think wilson combat being the only source of factory ammo that rules that out. That brings me to now being stuck between 6.8spc and 7.62x39 lol.

Just do a 1-8twist grendel. If you're tossed about a 6.8. I've had 3 spcll and 5 Grendel's. I still have 2 of the Grendel's. A 20" for me and an 18" for the wife. The 6.8 is nice. But brass is a pain to find. Then the right 95-115gr bullet. I shot a ton of 90gr gold dots through mine. But the grendel does the same work on more common parts. I use my 6.8 mags for my grendel. Biggest deal is if you reload or not. Can you find components or factory ammo. I'd not put the 7.62x39 in the same range as the grendel or 6.8. Both are superior roundsand I've built and shot 3 x39s from 7.5" to 16".

Back