Fantastic 12ga 3 1/2" coyote reloads

He said data from the range more than once. I wonder if he has any test data that shows the average pressures and speeds. Those 2 oz loads even if they are safe to shoot would have way to much recoil for me.

The copper coated lead B shot coyote load would not give you much penetration. The smallest lead shot that I would use on coyotes would be lead BB shot.

3.70" of gel penetration is what I would recommend for penetration to kill or break down 20 to 35 pound coyotes.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.
1300 fps lead B shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 36.9 yards.
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.
1300 fps lead BBB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 55.8 yards.
1300 fps lead T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 66.0 yards.
1300 fps lead Number 4 Buck gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 109.2 yards.

In 1-1/4 oz loads lead BBB has 54.57 pellets and Number 4 Buck has 27.08 pellets. I would much rather shoot lead BBB or lead T shot than number 4 Buck, because of the very low pellet count you get with number 4 Buck.

I think lead BBB and lead T shot are about perfect for hunting coyotes with lead shot. They have good penetration and good pellet counts.

I always get a giggle from Bubba's videos. He's excited that all his pellets stayed on a 48"x48" target at 45 yards. In other videos he has drawn a crude coyote outline and if a pellet hits from the nose to the anus he counts it and claims a dead coyote. Coyote Claymore... good one Bubba.

I think that the vast majority of coyotes that I ever shot with my shotgun were 45 yards and under, old 1100 with a fixed full choke, 30" patterns at 40 yards were the norm. Running, jumping, dodging coyotes often take more than one shot. I liked F buck and #4 Buck, but killed a lot with BB, but took more shots. I shot 32 pellets of Ballistic Products #4 buck(1 5/8 oz) at 1300. Today, in my 11/87 and a Beretta 391 with extra full chokes, all pellets go in a 20" circle, and that load is a meat grinder at 50 yards.

30 years ago, my hunting partner shot a load of 28 pellets of #4 buck with 25g Unique in 2 3/4" AA hulls, buffered, RP 12 wad, 1250 fps, and he killed as many coyotes as I did. He cast his own #4 buck with Wheel Weights and added some linotype. With the terrain we hunted, 90% of our shotgun kills were 40 yards and less.

With kids and Dad shooting, somehow, you have to get the cost of shells down. Also, the availability of components, compromises have to be made. There is usually one guy in the family that is loading for brothers, uncles, nephews, and his own children.

Lee makes a great #4,00, and 000 buckshot mold, and going down this road is like a hobby within a hobby with load and choke testing....keeps the family shooting.

Great close range (40 yd and under)coyote shells can be assembled with simple hulls and wads unless you are wanting long range shells were the TSS shot will really shine.

A simple Mec Jr or Size master is all you need to get started on loading your own buckshot.

It is prudent to get into loading your own, buy what components you can afford for a 5 year period.

If a guy had the means, it would be smart to buy up about 10 lbs of TSS shot, and 20 lbs of Ballistic's products products buckshot in the sizes you like, #4, F, and T shot. You would be set for life for all the types of terrains you would be hunting in.

The main issue, is to get into reloading your own buckshot, patterning your shotgun with different chokes.

I have skinned a LOT of coyotes, 3-4 #4 buck in the chest puts a coyote down, and 8 T shot would probably be better. My rule, if they are twitching a tail, hit them again!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobHe said data from the range more than once. I wonder if he has any test data that shows the average pressures and speeds. Those 2 oz loads even if they are safe to shoot would have way to much recoil for me.

The copper coated lead B shot coyote load would not give you much penetration. The smallest lead shot that I would use on coyotes would be lead BB shot.

3.70" of gel penetration is what I would recommend for penetration to kill or break down 20 to 35 pound coyotes.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics.
1300 fps lead B shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 36.9 yards.
1300 fps lead BB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards.
1300 fps lead BBB shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 55.8 yards.
1300 fps lead T shot gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 66.0 yards.
1300 fps lead Number 4 Buck gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 109.2 yards.

In 1-1/4 oz loads lead BBB has 54.57 pellets and Number 4 Buck has 27.08 pellets. I would much rather shoot lead BBB or lead T shot than number 4 Buck, because of the very low pellet count you get with number 4 Buck.

I think lead BBB and lead T shot are about perfect for hunting coyotes with lead shot. They have good penetration and good pellet counts.

I got the same feeling. It seems like he is working up a load on the range, which is pretty dang risky when dealing with 3.5" shells. Put a chill in my spine when I watched it yesterday. I dont know why 3.5" 12ga is needed?? I shoot 1 1/2 BB lead and it rolls a yote at 45-50yds with ease, recoil isn't terrible so easy to get back on target if needed. If its beyond 50yds I'm shooting it with the rifle. I started with 4B and it does work as long as you do your part to get a tight pattern.. more than I wanted to deal with so I switched to heavy mag coyote BB and have not looked back. I still have a bunch of 4buck I need to get listed eventually, I've noticed its hard to find right now

Wade made that video due to the demand from people wanting a long range coyote load with LEAD pellets.

Hornady just made a run of #4 Buckshot, available as of 8/25/21

Back