30-06

pyscodog

I;m loading for my Sako and found a load that shoots exceptionally well but now I realize its on the low end of the charge weight. I'm using 56 grains of H4350 with a 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunter. I get three touching at 100yds but now realize its a pretty slow load, according to the book. This isn't my go to rifle for hunting and may never see the deer woods and where I hunt a 100yd shot is probably as far as I can shoot. Do I leave it alone or boost the charge and hope to find another sweet spot??

With a true 100 yard zero the difference in trajectory is 0.6 inches at 200 yards between starting load velocity and top load. And 2" at 300 yards. If you really have the seating depth determined, it would be simple to find a higher node. But don't think a deer will know the difference. Many elk have been cleanly harvested with 30 cal bullets at that velocity.

Originally Posted By: AWSYou have a known load so why not experiment.

True, a good reason for more trigger time. Just wish it wasn't so dang hot! We need to get our air conditioned shooting house finished.

Get out early before things heat up, it is almost SOP here in S. NM. I hit the range the minute the gate opens and by 11 everyone has gone home.

Get out early before things heat up, it is almost SOP here in S. NM. I hit the range the minute the gate opens and by 11 everyone has gone home.

Went to the range sunday, sweated off 3 lbs.

Clearly I need to go to the range every day for the next 30 days...

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishWent to the range sunday, sweated off 3 lbs.

Clearly I need to go to the range every day for the next 30 days...

Me too.

We just built a new facility at our club. There are 9 bench's that will allow shooters to shoot from 50 yards out to 300 yds while in the comfort of AC in the summer or heat in the winter. Also allow the air rifle guys to shoot 10 meters and the archery guys to shoot indoors as well. But....it isn't finished yet. A new safety system needs finished and some dirt work needs to be done. Gonna be nice on days like we been having.

My go to load is almost the same.
56.5 of H4350, 165gr. Sierra SPT or 168 HP
Not sure of velocity but accuracy is Awesome.
Yours should be going a bit faster with the 150's.
I wouldn't worry about the speed, you got a good load.

Yep. If you make the bullet intercept the animal, you'll be fine.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with playing with other loads, different bullets/powders/primers in search of a hotter load with the same or better accuracy. That's part of why we hand load.

My rule is that the most accurate load found so far (with a bullet suitable for the purpose) is my go to load until & unless I find a better one to take its place.

You likely wont gain much velocity from going up a few grains but you might as well try it. I am using 54 gr of IMR4350 behind a 180 gr Woodleigh RN and its stout but certainly not over pressure. The difference a couple grains makes in 30-06 with that powder is likely to be around 100 fps. You and the deer wont notice. The gun might.

I have shot 59g of IMR 4350 with 150's forever, Rem brass, Rem 700's. Another load for semi auto's is 51-52g of IMR 4064 with the 150's.

150g Hornady Flat base is an awesome killer, thinks it is a partition.

My forever load for a 30-06 is 54g of IMR 4064 with 150gr Hornady spire points using Remington brass and CCI 200 primers. I posted this load before, it is listed as the max. load in the 1961 Speer reloading manual and at one time 7 of us shot this identical load in multiple guns.

Back