what is you go-to shotgun round for 'yotes?

ILPredHunter12

Hey guys just curious what's your go to coyote shotgun round? Starting to get back into the predator game and stuck to hunting public ground more regularly than private ground and stuck to using shotgun.

I prefer nickel plated BBs in my combo guns 1 oz in 16ga and 1 1/4 oz in 12ga I'm good to 40 yards beyond that I have the rifle barrels.

In my 870 which I rarely take out unless it is a firearms area I have a bunch of Rem HD BBs ànd Dead Coyote that I picked up at a hardware store in SD for lead shot prices many years ago.

I reload my own.
I use lead TT(.21) 3" 12gauge 1 1/2 oz and enough "Steel" powder to kick them out at 1350 fps. I use a Stoeger M3500, steady grip, dead mule, and a .670 extended ported choke. 49 pellets and hit a 3X3 target at 85 yards with 45% of the pellets.

Originally Posted By: AWSI prefer nickel plated BBs in my combo guns 1 oz in 16ga and 1 1/4 oz in 12ga I'm good to 40 yards beyond that I have the rifle barrels.

In my 870 which I rarely take out unless it is a firearms area I have a bunch of Rem HD BBs ànd Dead Coyote that I picked up at a hardware store in SD for lead shot prices many years ago.

I've heard that dead coyote is some good stuff. I've got loads of steel 2 shot from when I used to duck hunt, do you think that might be a little small?

Do not use steel shot loads when hunting coyotes. Steel #2 shot is a duck load. Coyotes are ten times harder to kill than a duck is.

I really like the Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote loads with BB shot. When my current supply runs out, and I am still not able to find them (seems likely), I'll drop back to regular ol' #4 buck shot.

What ever you go with pattern it with your shotgun. After 6 chokes and at least a dozen different type of shells I only got Remington Low Recoil 00 to pattern in a .695 choke at 35 yards. Not ideal for coyotes.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointWhat ever you go with pattern it with your shotgun. After 6 chokes and at least a dozen different type of shells I only got Remington Low Recoil 00 to pattern in a .695 choke at 35 yards. Not ideal for coyotes.

What gun, chokes and loads? Maybe we can help.

It is a Weatherby PA-459. I gave up on that shotgun for coyotes but it is now used for home defense as it patterns well with the Remington Low Recoil. That's why I bought it originally.

I'll be looking for a new gun next year.

I agree steel duck loads are a poor choice. The problem with steel shot is that it would limit your range to only very close shots. Even at 30 yards, the steel duck shot may not be effective. There are several proven shotgun coyote loads that will work at 30 yards every time. Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote in BB is a cost effective load that will reliably kill coyote out to 40+ yards. Hevi shot dead coyote is effective but is expensive. Various buckshot loads will work well but you need to see how they will pattern in your gun. The problem with buckshot at beyond 30 yards is there will start to be bigger and bigger holes in your pattern.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI really like the Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote loads with BB shot. When my current supply runs out, and I am still not able to find them (seems likely), I'll drop back to regular ol' #4 buck shot.

Midway currently has it in stock but it is over $20 per box. A couple years ago I bought 10 boxes when it was on sale around $10 per box. At least ammunition is becoming more available now but I still refuse to support the ridiculous prices many places are charging.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI really like the Hornady Heavy Magnum Coyote loads with BB shot. When my current supply runs out, and I am still not able to find them (seems likely), I'll drop back to regular ol' #4 buck shot.

I’ve got about 4-5 boxes of that load that I’ll never use since they started letting us use rifles at night a few years ago.
I’ll shoot you a pm to see if you want any of it.

I like the heavy mag coyote BB as well (hard to miss!). Used to use 4B and it works fine as long as you pattern and choke your gun tight enough, used a lot of follow up shots with them though.

Myself and my hunting partner have good patterns out to 35 yards with my 1 3/8oz buffered BB handloads, have yet to try them on live targets though. Working on an F buck load as well as some 20 gauge loads of F and 4 buck.

Back