Almost a train wreck...

nr123

as far as hunts go. Buddy and I were going to a fresh bush hogged field, but he had to drop out due to family illness. I arrived at the field, 83* and humidity about the same, fog covering the field. Got out of truck, glasses fogged up, along with scanner and thermal.
Finally got my stand in the ground, took forever, ground is hard as a rock! Got Foxpro set up and ready. Still can't see thru anything, continually wiping glasses, scanner is almost useless, thinking seriously about going home.
Took off glasses, last attempt thru scanner, and saw something I knew wasn't my caller. Quick look thru scope and there goes a coyote jogging across the field. I lined up the crosshairs just behind the shoulder, never thought about getting him to stop, and touched the trigger of my Tikka 22-250. My 55 gr Varmageddon load put him down hard.
I never turned the call on, but had a big male coyote to show for everything that went wrong. I'll take that!

After the photobucket fiasco, I've only posted a handful of pictures. So few, I can hardly remember how to post them. My computer skills are limited and I'm not really interested in learning new posting techniques. I doubt if a picture of another dead coyote is in great demand.
As I mentioned in my original post, the dry Ga. ground here is hard as a rock. I use a 3 prong wire hanger that I hang my Foxpro caller on, and the legs need to be anchored pretty good to hold up the weight of the caller.

I've had issues with hard and frozen ground too. This is how i resolved my problem with it. Used a piece of plexiglass, 1/4"-20 drilled & tapped in the center for the tripod & a hole in each corner for the bungee straps. works good, hope this helps. Tripod was inexpensive off ebay. Congrats on the big male !!

I have had a few hunts like that... you're not even settled in yet and then the next thing you know... fur on the ground.

Back