when is it best to hunt coyotes night or day ? and what calling tapes should be used?

what is the best time to hunt coyotes ? night or day ? what type of weather is best for hunting them ? what calling tapes should i use for night time coyote hunting ? and what tapes should i use for day time hunting ? what time of the day or night is best ? i live in michigan if that is any help.

------------------

Well, maybe we can spread it around a little? I'll offer opinion on the first question; when is it best to hunt coyotes?

Over the long haul, you will call more, see more, and kill more animals hunting at night. This assumes that you know how to hunt coyotes at night, and are using the proper equipment.

Then there are the exceptions. For instance; if those coyotes are heavily pressured at night by spotlighters, they will be spooky as hell. In that case, logically enough, you should get much better responses making daylight stands. Also, due to atmospheric conditions, weather, moon phases; you may have much better hunting in the daytime, but usually, only for a brief period, like all morning, all afternoon, or even all day long. Another thing to consider is the window of opportunity. Day hunting strongly favors early morning, with a long stretch during the heat of the day when the hunting usually will taper off. This is followed by a shorter period before dark when they again respond with enthusiasm. On the other hand, night hunting is more consistant, even though they are much more active the last three hours before daylight.

Everybody is encouraged to agree, or even strongly disagree, if you can state your case. My (opinion) isn't the only one that has any validity; far from it!
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

[This message has been edited by Leonard (edited 03-18-2001).]

If truth be told, you would probably call more animals at night.This is not to say you will kill more animals at night.At night you have the handicap of lack of visibility,predators could sneek in and out and you might not even know it.This can also happen in the day but your chances of seeing them are greater.Also shooting a coyote at 100yards in the day is diferent than one at 100yards at night,at night you only have 2 glowing eyes as your target.One big plus about night calling is that the predators seem to let there guard down abit more than in the day.There are many pro's and con's for each of them.I prefer day calling because I love to watch there aproach to the call.Hope that helps.

Oh boy good one Coyotemaster22250
and Welcome tp Predator Masters.

I have hunted durning the night and the day. And yes it true like Leonard said you will need the right equipment, to do the night hunt.
From what i can tell Randy on the night hunting forum can answer you question well since he hunts at night a lot more then I do. But we have the same ways of night hunting.
I have had better should I say LUCK just before the sun comes out, and around 11:00am to 1:00pm. Then again before and durning night between 7:00pm to 11:00pm anytime after that I am in bed my self
biggrin.gif
while the yotes are looking for food.
Again visibility is not a problem as long as you have the right equipment. As far as calling equipment, I like to hand call and tapes just about anything that sounds like a rabbit. Again this is my (opinion).
good luck and safe hunting

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quialty Custom Gunsmithing

I agree with Jason. Anything that sounds like a critter that a yote might want to eat, should bring 'em in. The equipment is a definate factor. Check out some of the posts in "night hunting" .This should help. See ya'..Randy

Back