favorite priming tools and powder drop?

ILPredHunter12

Hey guys. First off, I've been absent from the forum for a long time and glad to be back.

Now onto my question for you all. I have been reloading for awhile and am thinking about upgrading my powder drop and maybe going another direction with my priming. I run a Lee press with the press mounted Lee priming set up. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. Just wondering if maybe you guys could give me some insight on a hand priming set up or if it is even worth changing? Why change what works, right?

Also, I am running the Lee Perfect Powder Measurer and would like some insight on what you guys prefer. I am thinking about the RCBS Quick Change powder measurer. Pros, cons, complaints? I don't hate my Lee measurer, it just seems to be inconsistent sometimes (depending on powder).

For powder I mainly use Varget, hp-38, and very rarely IMR 4227 and IMR 4198.

Any recommendations are very welcome!

Thank you all! Happy hunting and safe shooting!

For priming the best I've found is the Frankford arsenal perfect primer seater. It has an adjustable seating depth wheel so you can easily seat them the same depth. They don't sell extra primer trays that I know of but RCBS trays fit.

I use a Hornady powder dispenser and weigh every rifle charge on a digital scale, trickling depends on the powder used.

I tried priming on my rock chucker and it sucked.

Dark moon. Frankford does sell extra primer trays, but you to call them to order them. The frankford perfect primer is the way to go as far as I’ve found. I use the rcbs chargemaster lite for my powder and have been happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Dark moon 63For priming the best I've found is the Frankford arsenal perfect primer seater. It has an adjustable seating depth wheel so you can easily seat them the same depth. They don't sell extra primer trays that I know of but RCBS trays fit.

I use a Hornady powder dispenser and weigh every rifle charge on a digital scale, trickling depends on the powder used.

I tried priming on my rock chucker and it sucked.

awesome thank you! I have looked at the Frankfort perfect primer before and wondered how they did. Thanks for the rec.!

And you're right about priming on the press. I prime on my turret press and it can be a pain sometimes.

Originally Posted By: fattmallardDark moon. Frankford does sell extra primer trays, but you to call them to order them. The frankford perfect primer is the way to go as far as I’ve found. I use the rcbs chargemaster lite for my powder and have been happy with it.

There's 2 for the perfect primer. Thank you for the rec. I've been looking at the RCBS measurers and my uncle run's them and seems to really like them. I've been looking at a couple different RCBS drops.

What part of MO are you in if you don't mind me asking? Any luck finding primers?

Southeast Missouri here. I haven’t seen primers in well over a year, which I haven’t been searching either. I’ve got thousands of small and large rifle primers luckily. I did a lot of research on powder measures before finally settling on the rcbs, I’ve been completely happy with it to the point of possibly picking up another so I don’t have to empty it each time I change calibers.
I don’t think you’ll find a better hand primer than the frankford , it’s very well built for sure.

Dark moon, no problem.

Originally Posted By: fattmallardSoutheast Missouri here. I haven’t seen primers in well over a year, which I haven’t been searching either. I’ve got thousands of small and large rifle primers luckily. I did a lot of research on powder measures before finally settling on the rcbs, I’ve been completely happy with it to the point of possibly picking up another so I don’t have to empty it each time I change calibers.
I don’t think you’ll find a better hand primer than the frankford , it’s very well built for sure.

Dark moon, no problem.

Nice. You were prepared lol. I seen some for sale at the gun show up in St.Charles couple months ago but they were gouging the heck outta the price. May have to make a little trip Saturday for some primers. Sounds like they're coming back pretty slowly from what I've heard.

Appreciate the insight on the Frankfort primer. I'm gonna have to get one for sure.

I have always just used my RCBS Rockchucker press for primer seating on the downstroke after resizing.
For powder, I used the RCBS powder dispenser for many, many years but moved to the Chargemaster Combo 6 or 7 years ago and love it. They have since gone up in price quite a bit but I have sure gotten good use our of mine.

I have a few Lee round tray hand primers, one square tray, a Smart prime handprimer, a lee Ram Prime that I rarely use any longer and I use the press prime arms on my Lee turrets for small quantity oddball stuff that Lee doesn't make shell holders for. I have a hand prime set up for each primer style that I use with the lid labeled. I hate switching things.

Powder measures/dumps. I like lyman 55's for small quantities and have one at each station, plus Redding, Seaco, Pacific/Hornady, RCBS(ancient unlabeled black one that throws 800x very accurately), a Herters, C&H (huge hopper) and a Midway pistol powder measure. Other than the Lymans for small quantities they are all pretty much equal. I do want micrometer adjustable adjustments on mine, the measures with the sliding stems are a pain in the [beeep] and I've given them to newbies to start out with.

I have six set up on the bench, again I hate having to change things and leave some set up for certain powders and lable them with the powder and quantity.

sfbQaZ.jpg

Good video

Above is a nice video on powder dispensing. Hopefully you can stay awake long enough to take in the lesson.

I use the Redding 3BR and the Redding match grade powder dispenser but am unable to comment as to if they are better than another type. I do like the micrometer for repeatability.

I use the RCBS universal hand primer for any case head larger than .223
For .233 i use the "regular" RCBS hand priming tool.

I also have the RCBS bench mounted auto priming tool

I use the lyman 55 on flake powders, Redding BR-30 with the pistol insert for hand guns, BR-30 rifle for ball powder

Then this measure which is built like a Swiss Jeweled Watch:

https://harrellsprec.com/index.php/products/new-br-premium-powder-measure

There are 6 clicks between each number on the powder measure, and charges are repeatable.

For instance, if you want 59g of IMR 4350, you record the number on the powder measure dial, and go right back to that number next time. As a rule on all large stick powders, I throw a half a grain light and trickle up. ON powders like varget, 4895, and small stick powders like 8208, AA2015, Benchmark, I throw right to the number.

Back