IR area lights - any solar powered?

Burnsome...

Looking to set up an "area" IR light field around my baiting area if such a thing exists. Thinking maybe a 90 degree flood with motion detection, solar powered.

Does such a thing exist?

Been looking online but no joy.

Trying to get away from having to turn on the guns IR light before shooting.

Thanks DU - thats quite a good track record for longevity. Thanks

I suppose I could run a 12 volt battery to it. Or run about 200 feet of power chord but that'd be more than I'm wanting to do.

Have you noticed if the coyotes took a while to get used to it or pretty much ignore it?

I could hook the battery to it on nights I hunt I suppose and try it out.

ETA - just realized it has a 300-400 foot range. If thats for real then I wouldnt need to run a long power line because my average shot is 60 yards.

Last edited:
You will be able to shoot at 60 yds. okay. I have mine mounted under the eaves of my shelter about 12 feet high. The coyotes have never paid it any attention at all. Even though I'm not shooting with Digital NV, I still occasionally need to look out with with my Bushnell equinox monocular to see what has triggered the alarm without the need to raise the window and look with thermal.

Burn, the 850nm 198 LED light should really illuminate things up. Also you might want to consider a 940nm spotlight. I got mine 198 LED 940 from Amazon several years ago and like DoubleUp’s, it is still going strong. If you notice in my videos, I use it to see what’s out there. It gives enough light to shoot by, but the 850nm (140 LED that I have) is brighter. The 940nm one is pure stealth - no glow at all. Once I detect what is out there, I then deploy a weapon mounted IR to shoot by, but I could easily shoot with the 940.

My light is mounted on a tall 4x4 post that is about 25-30 yards from the bait site. A small battery box is mounted at the base of the post. I use the small lawn mower 7 amp type batteries, and if you just turn it on when needed, the battery will last 2-3 nights or more. Two or three of these lights strategically placed would cover a broader area, and have no glow. The 850nm light has the traditional red glow.

I use a cheap $15 Ebay remote control switch to turn mine on and off when needed. I only turn it on when something trips the alarm sensor. Also, a set of switches are available on Ebay that has at least two in a pack and both work on the same remote control. You could have two lights mounted and a single push of a button would turn both on at the same time.

Here is an example of the 940nm 198 LED light with home-made night vision. Distance was 60 yards from me, but the light was maybe 25-30 yards from the coyote.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fjT1h3hbYB8

Here is an example of my ATN 4k Pro and the 940nm light.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpl93wY8cJc

If you want more information about my setup, send me a text and phone number and we can discuss it better. My computer router is out at the moment and I am typing from my phone.

Thanks 6. Thats an outstanding video and I now remember it when you posted it a while back. It looks like its something I'm willing to try out and see how it works for me. Looking for something that'll throw enough IR light out to about 50-60 yards to allow me to see and possibly shoot if I dont have time to turn the gun IR light on. Appreciate the info and I'll hit you up via PM if I have further questions. I might get one and see how it throws light at 60 yards. If its not enough for my liking the 4x4 post mounted closer and remote on/off sounds like a fantastic solution. Thank you again...

I think that Elusive Wildlife Technologies makes a solar powered feeder light in both 850nm and 940nm. It is called the Outfitter-R if I'm not mistaken.
I have a lot of trouble with their website, I usually just call them. They are in Texas.

I am pleased with it. After delivery yesterday I mounted it to a portable wood platform and placed it on top of a burnbarrel that's about 15 yards from my shooting position, which puts it about 50 yards from my bait area.

Here's a video of a fox last night looking through the 4k scope.

[video:youtube][/video]

I'd embed the video but dont know how to do that hence the linky...

Anyway, it provides ample light for me to shoot a coyote without having to use supplemental gun IR light if need be. Should save me a couple of seconds or so if I feel the need to get on one quickly and shoot

Last edited:
Here's the same fox and he moves off to the right out of view and I light up the area with my 850 gun light

Here's a couple of nightly visitors. They are a bit darker as viewed through the scope due to their dark fur plus being lower to the ground. I think the slight terrain rise in front of the light blocks out some light getting down to the area. About half way through I hit them up with the gun light for comparison.

Same visitors with and without supplemental gun light. I'd say its good enough for govt work. Could get the IR light up at a higher elevation for improvement possibly, but I'll try it hunting for a while and see how it goes. Actually they are lit up slightly better when viewing through the scope live vs the video.

Here's Take 6. Mr. Fox moves to the right and does his business and heads straight for the big IR light. I lit him up with my low powered supplemental gun light and he didnt seem to be bothered by any of it.

No coyotes showed up last night so we'll see how it goes...

Last edited:

Well Burn, that looks pretty good. What gun light are you using? How are you turning the spotlight on and off?

6 - I have two IR lights on the gun. IR850 Pro on the left side of the gun which is quite bright and focused. I like to use that one right before shooting to really light up the coyote. It helps me focus a bit better on the cross-hairs and the target, and makes for better videos
smile.gif

Also have the lesser powered IR light which came with the 4K scope thats on the right side of the gun. Lesser powered, and pretty much puts out the same amount of perceived light (but more focused) at the shooting distance of about 60 yards as the new CMVision-IR200 IR LED light. I simply plug that one into wall power at the garage I hunt from.

The IR200 puts out a very wide area of light and more than I expected. I might rig something up to get it a bit higher up in the air due to the rising terrain right in front of it at this point in time.

Back