Baiting

Been seeing some activity on the bait pile recently so decided to get after them again last night during the full moon.

0tR8HGr.jpg

This guy just couldnt commit to coming into an open spot so I took a shot a bit further into the woodline than I wanted to but it worked.

[video:youtube][/video]

My left hand was occupied with the thermal scanner and was operating the gun one handed so I didnt get to light him up as much as I wanted but down he/it went. Not sure if its a coyote or a chupacabra, but whatever it is, its the ugliest thing I think I've ever seen. Not only was he 75% hairless, he had some yellow mold all over him. Felt like I had to don my biohazard PPE this morning to get near it.

CXXAdtD.jpg

3NudiMz.jpg

223, 40gr Nosler VMAX worked again nicely.

So here's a little perspective of my baiting area as of late. Below is a view from my hunting position down to where I bait. We've been at 90% or better humidity the last few days and its been kinda foggy during the mornings.

T5scLFe.png

Here's a view from the bait area back to my shooting position in a detached garage. It keeps me out of the weather and I can sit in a comfortable chair behind the gun and scan with the handheld thermal. When something comes in I simply get on the gun and its go time.

78kamjM.png

Here's a close up view of the bait area. The critter that came in last night never stepped into the open and kept wondering back and forth back in the woods thinking about what it was going to do. I dont have as much patience as some of you guys do so when I get a shot I go ahead and take it. There's an opening just to the left of the arrow and thats the path the bullet took.

bBZwuMq.png

You did that one a favor Burn. He had a bad case of mange for sure. I'll sure be glad when the corn surrounding me gets picked.

YOWSER Burn, that's a nasty critter! Good to get him out of circulation! Good work.
So, you shoot from your detached garage? Is your beeper in the house? Do you have to work your way to the garage if you get an alarm, or do you just spend time in the garage upon patterning a coyote on trail cam?

Thanks DU/BP

BP - Yes, I shoot out the rear window of the garage, actually its a neighbors detached garage and his particular property which is next to mine allows me to bait down in the wooded area which keeps them further from my place (and his actually). I simply monitor 3-4 trail cams that tell me when something is interested in the bait pile. I've found I get an occasional transient, and its easy to tell when they become somewhat of an occupier of the territory since they start coming back in more frequently. I typically give them 3-4 nights of coming in and I sort of can tell when they're getting more comfortable as they start coming in earlier in the night time hours. This particular one had been coming in around 3-4am to start with, then around 1-2am, then 11-ish. Last night he came in around 10:20pm as I recall. So yes, after patterning their movements and behavior via trail cam is when I decide to set up in the garage and wait.

On nights I hunt, I'll usually throw an extra can of dog/cat food or sardines or even catfish bait (which smells like you opened a can of Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the same time). Generally I use Ol' Roy dry dog food. Keeps the coons and other critters fed thats for sure.

Anyway, last night I was watching a fox and 3 coons over the bait pile at 10pm and they took off in all directions which is an indication Mr Coyote is in the area. Sure enough, he came by to visit about 5-10 minutes later.

I also keep notes in my calendar on dates and times of contact. That way its easy to keep up with the tempo of their visits and whatnot.

Here's a pic of a falling apart shed/covered area thats just to the right of the kill zone. I mount 3 trail cameras there and check them every morning. Usually have anywhere between 300-1200 pictures a night between all 3 cameras at that location. Also have 2 more cameras back behind my place and can see if their directional patterns of coming in if they get close to my place.

Sure is fun...

u4jHEai.jpg

Last edited:
Gotch ya Burn. Certainly keeps you busy every day! Thanks for the explanation. Always fun to know how everyone operates and the different approach everyone takes. Cool stuff. Winter is coming!!!

Originally Posted By: baitpileGotch ya Burn. Certainly keeps you busy every day! Thanks for the explanation. Always fun to know how everyone operates and the different approach everyone takes. Cool stuff. Winter is coming!!!

For sure BP - it does give me something to look forward to every morning when I go on a morning walk with the hound dog. About 4-5 years ago my AO was totally overrun with yotes. They were everywhere and doing what they do. I had enough of it and finally go with the night time hunting/baiting program to help fix it. I really need to get my Super Hogster out and start hunting with it some as well

Agree SP - perhaps we should start a thread for "The Ugliest Coyote of the month" or something like that. That one is by far the ugliest one I've ever seen or shot for sure...it was so ugly I almost didnt post pictures of it on here. Besides the mange, it actually had some yellow mold-looking crud on its head/mouth/body that just about makes me gag thinking about it.

So my last two include a 3 pawed wonder that I'd shot its foot off about 3 months earlier, and now Mr. Ugly.

I'm ready for something more "normal" to come around.

Burn, that was one pitiful looking coyote. I actually feel sorry for them like that. Good write-up and photos. I always enjoy seeing photos of other baiters and how they do it. Appreciate you sharing that. Looking forward to seeing your Hogster in action.

My skinny female coyote continues to come to the bait. I’m just stringing her along until September.

Burn, When a coyote has mold growing on it you know it's in bad shape. Getting him out of the gene pool was a good thing! I'd never win the "Ugliest Coyote". Saw one yesterday that had an amazing coat for this time of year.

Originally Posted By: SoftpointBurn, When a coyote has mold growing on it you know it's in bad shape. Getting him out of the gene pool was a good thing! I'd never win the "Ugliest Coyote". Saw one yesterday that had an amazing coat for this time of year.

Yes Sir! Glad to hear they are healthy out your way SP. My area seems to produce some pretty weird diseased ridden yotes for some reason

Quote:Congrats to Burns on the beautiful fur. Fine shooting Burns.

HAHA. Thanks WE. I now have two more coming in the last couple of nights. Amazingly, they look half way normal on the trail cam pics, and I hope they are. I'm tired of dealing with the criptids. I watch that show "Paranormal Caught on Camera" from time to time and am awaiting some criptoid to show up behind my place one of these nights.

Little teaser on some new coyote medicine...

I wanted to experiment a little reference my night hunting equipment. Last year, I went to a tripod for night calling. This was a game changer for me, being able to get up out of the snow and pan continuously with night vision. Well, being up on a tripod, a pistol grip is so much more comfortable and needed some m-lok slots just in case(external battery, IR).So, in comes the MDT LSS chassis. Nice. I went ahead and put a R700 sporter .243 (24" barrel) in the chassis. Okay, but long story short, the barrel was crap. 1.5" and a copper mine.
Time for the experiment:
I bought a new R700 take off barrel in a 26" varmint .22-250. Had 6" wapped off the end (13oz) and replaced that .243 barrel with it. Now, I'm thinking okay, I'll loose some velocity, but what the heck, 20"...handy. I threw a bushnell scope on for break in and load work up prior to the NV going on. I'm shooting 50 gr Nosler ballistic tips with the 14 twist barrel. I was hoping for 3550ish fps.
Well, how's 3696 and 3697 fps sound? Wow! 20" barrel and those speeds, I'm a happy camper. So, consistant 3/4" groups(barrel is just starting to break in) at 3697 fps, let it snow. I'm with in a half pound of the sporter barrel package. A little heavy, but walking, its on my back, and on the tripod, a little weight doesn't hurt anything.
Stay tuned for a pic, need to mount up the NV and get that zero'd. Be a couple days.
A bit long winded, but hey, it's August!!

BP, sounds like a very nice outfit. Sure hope you get a lot of chances with it this winter. Slow here, waiting for the corn to be picked, cooler weather, and longer nights.

Back