350 Legend

pyscodog

Well, I got dies and a little brass and what seems to be the most popular powders, 110,296 and Lil Gun, no CFE Black. What bullets do I need to find? Going to be a truck gun so deer and pigs are the main targets and anything else that may need kilt.

Last edited:
The rifle is a CVA Scout TD model. I shot some factory Winchester 180 grain and it did pretty good. I tried to order some Hornady 147 grain HP's last night but there was a clitch so I didn't get them ordered. Will they work for my purpose?

I got a box of Hornady 147 grain XTP's. Hogdgon says I can run them to 2450ish FPS with a max load. Recommended velocity is 1500 on the box. Will that bullet stabilize or be accurate running that hard? Or is it trial and error??

Last edited:
ive not done 147 xtp testing yet... but ive run 124 xtp's quite hot, well north of 2300 under a stout load of lil gun - and they ran just dandy. shooting quarter sized groups or so at 100 anyway.

i see reports of lots of folks running the 147's with great success on various venue's and i do run 147gr fmj as well with good results.

havent bothered to chrono the 147gr rn fmj, because im using them as plinkers. but point of impact is close enough to factory ammo that i dont care for making the plates go ding at 100.

A guy at the reloading store said he shoots them. Not sure if he's tried them out on game but he said they shot good in both his Ar's. I have some 147 FMJ's by Berry and received my Hornady XTP's so I plan on loading some and trying them out. I'm just not sure which powder to try. Probably the Lil Gun first.

I loaded up some of the 147 grain Hornady HP's with 28 grains of LilGun. They seem to shoot pretty good. I got three shot groups a little over an inch at 100yds. It was pretty warm and a slight crosswind so I'm hoping groups may tighten up a little with better conditions. Max load in Hodgdon's was 28.5 so I may bump the charge up next time out. Even if it turns out that this is best its going to do, its still minute of deer or pig and that's what it is meant for. That and just being dang fun to shoot.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI got a box of Hornady 147 grain XTP's. Hogdgon says I can run them to 2450ish FPS with a max load. Recommended velocity is 1500 on the box. Will that bullet stabilize or be accurate running that hard? Or is it trial and error??
IMHO the 147s are designed for 9mm subsonic. They have thin jackets designed to mushroom at 900 fps. They will be accurate, and great for Varmints or HD/SD. But for Deer there better loads out there. I really like XTPs in my carry pistols. Please post your experiences.

Back