Old Brass?

pyscodog

Through the years, I've collected a fair amount of unusable brass. Split necks or worn out primer pockets, some that I just didn't feel like messing with. What do you do with it? I don't have a great amount but maybe a five gallon bucket worth. Any scrap value or is it worth even hauling to a scrap yard? What do you do with yours??

Trust me it is worth taking it to the scrap yard. Prices vary across the country depending what place you hit. Make a few call and ask for pricing on yellow brass. I have gotten anywhere from $1.30 to $2.75 for brass over the years. I suspect it is way up right now. I have 100 pounds I need to turn if I can get off my butt..LOL I've probably sold 2 or 3 tons of it over the last 25 years.

Greg

Last edited:
Not rifle brass but when we were kids there was a stripped 52' yacht stored on our property and instead of hauling it away the owner set a match to it. My sister and I scrounged through the ashes an salvaged all the brass screws bolts and fittings. My dad took them in to the scrap yard and we nearly paid for a weeks vacation in norther WI fishing.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneDo the scrap yards require the primers to be removed?

Mine does not. Mine pays higher if I separate out the plated vs plain brass cases and absolutely NO 22 RF cases!!

Greg

I've sold lots of scrap metal. Brass is a pretty good one, weight adds up quickly. I put it all together, cartridge brass, plumbing fixtures etc... I have never had the scrap yard(s) say anything about primers, or RF brass. The only thing they say is to clean out ALL the steel and other metals, like screws in plumbing fixtures. In fact, I dump all my spent primers in the brass bucket.
For brass I don't need, like 9mm, I pick it up at the range just so I can sell it for scrap.

My place will buy the 23 but it cannot be mixed with regular brass. Something about the alloy mix being different. I put the loose primers in my plated brass bucket.

Greg

Last edited:
My scrap yard didn't care about primers as long as they weren't live. Aren't spent primers a brass cup and a bronze anvil anyway?

around here they're all a-holes and will barely pay sheet metal prices for brass unless its shredded.

scrap guy: we cant risk a live round or primer, tis a safety thing"

me: if its a safety thing.. why are you taking them at sheet metal rates

scrap guy: cuz uhm.. you know... uhm... we have to pay someone to sort them. you know.. for safety.

Back