Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3280323 - 08/11/21 11:30 AM Re: Sizing after loading [Re: Flesher]
ackleyman Offline
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
I have sized a lot of loaded ammo with a standard Redding body die. You have to take care to make sure the dia of the loaded round neck is not larger than the over size opening in the body die. Body dies are designed to not touch the neck. Care must be taken as European brass is thicker in the neck than American brass...do your due diligence.

The same thing maybe accomplished with a Full length Redding S die with NO BUSHING IN IT....maybe.

Using a sharpie, blacken the neck on the case, carefully run the loaded round though the body or S full length sizer to see if the neck on the case is touching the die. How much it is touching will be a factor. I have never seen it touch with Rem, Win, Fed, or PMC brass....Lapua & Norma I don't know.

I have had loaded ammo that has expanded back out over 7 years or so. Brass has a memory of the first chamber it was shot in. Over time, brass can expand back out....thus the need for a body die to size them back down. When I have ammo that has been loaded from brass that I bought once fired, I cycle the ammo through the gun prior to going hunting when it has been loaded for a couple of years.

Edited by ackleyman (08/11/21 12:08 PM)

#3280707 - 08/19/21 05:26 PM Re: Sizing after loading [Re: spotstalkshoot]
22 Chuck Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Montmorency Co, MI
Originally Posted By: spotstalkshoot
Use a collet die bullet puller, dump powder. Pull the firing pin from your bolt and make sure your sizing die adjustment is correct. Or get an ammo checker for your cartridge. You may need a small base die if the brass was fired in a different rifle. No need to punch out primer if you pull decap/expander and or firing pin. Always check that a unprimed sized brass will go into battery in your AR platforms, before loading.

A good "ammo checker"is a LE Wilson cage gage.. I have em for most of the calibers I load. Check the cases after sizing and then the fully loaded round just after bullet seating.

How about a "Lee Carbide factory crimp die?" Dont have to apply a lot of crimp but that die sizes on he waay in and on the way out. I used on my 9mms as they didnt want to chamber--die fixed it..

Look on youtube for an explanation on use of that die--might fix your problem.

Edited by 22 Chuck (08/19/21 05:31 PM)

#3280769 - 08/20/21 10:39 PM Re: Sizing after loading [Re: Flesher]
dennyd Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: mn
I been reloading since the 60's, it's not that rare of a thing to do.
Just figure it out and try not to do it for at least another year er so, lol.
I use a puller , Lyman is my favorite, slow down, & start over.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.