Savage cartridge swap

Beanzdog

Newbie here to this sub-topic but I'm hoping the predator masters community can shed some light on a question I have.I've got a savage 110 id like to swap over to .308 from 6.5cm. The reason I'm doing this is because I can't hardly find(or really afford in these crazy times) 6.5cm but can find plenty of 308 where I'm at. My question is how hard would it be to switch calibers? Would I be better off financially just getting another rifle in 308? I've never modified any firearms before but I would like to think I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I've also looked into what kind of special tools I'd need and so far all I see is a set of go/no go gauges, a barrel nut wrench, and an action vice. Is there anything else?

I kinda sorta get the idea but am asking out of an abundance of caution. Really I just don't want to blow myself and my gun up by trying to save a quick buck

You have the parts list down well but I would suggest a barrel vise to make it easier on yourself. I use a GO Gauge to set mine up and after the first time or two it will be easy for you. The hardest part I had was popping the barrel nut loose on the first swap. Short 18" piece of 2" square stock worked well on mine. Be sure and put some card stock or something around the barrel to keep the vise from marking it up.

If you start getting into the process and end up with various barrels etc. and different bolt heads you may have to adjust firing pin protrusion. There are a ton of picture illustrated directions on the net on how to do that. I've taken Magnum action and put a 223 barrel on it but the extra time involved was only maybe five minutes to set that.

I have conservatively 10 extra Savage barres and it can be addicting. They run from 20 LBC to 200 Win Mag. Most recently I have obtained and am using the extra Ruger RAP barrels in 243 and 22 LBC. I had to get a barrel nut from PT&G although I did have the wrench for the smooth nuts but prefer the toothed version. That one required a special wrench that flops around like pipefitters use on collars. I also just got my first REMAGE barrel in 20 PRACTICAL. It is all bolted up and ready to go. That barrel nut was the same size as a Savage so my Wheeler wrench worked fine for that.

Good luck on the swapping and review the videos and articles before you start. Don't forget the anti-seize for the threads BTW.

Greg

Thank you, from what everyone's saying its pretty easy on a savage and I'll try to post up a picture in this thread whenever I get my parts in

Loosening the factory nut the first time can be tough since Savage hire Helga the Ex-Russia shotputter to tighten barrel nuts. A dead-blow hammer on the wrench works pretty good, no need to get it that tight when you put everything back together.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogContact Northland Shooters Supply. He can hook you up with everything you will need, including a barrel if needed.

DITTO!

I did make a one-time use barrel vice by clamping two thick
pieces of hardwood together, drilling a hole slightly under
size where the faces met, installing four washered lag bolts
(two on either side of the hole).

I talked with James at Northland when I did a swap. I asked about a special wrench to remove the round barrel nut. He told me to save my money, use a pipe wrench to remove the nut, then throw the nut in the trash and get an old style nut and be done with it. Removing the nut will probably be the hardest part of the job. Once its off, its a piece of cake after that. Good luck and have fun. I mean that in a positive way. Its really not that hard.

I ended up ordering everything I needed from Northland. Talked to one of the representatives and they were super informative, can't recall their name. Now all there's left to do is wait.
I did end up getting a new nut and the wrench since it was reasonably priced

Theyre backed up about a month and a half for what I wanted.
I was told they don't have any 308 barrels in stock at this time, at least for criterion

So did you get a barrel? He has a savage take off barrel on his site for cheap. I ha e bought from James multiple times. Only one of his barrels but it shoots really good. I’m about to purchase another barrel from in 22-250.

I did get a barrel, but since it's not in stock I was told it'll probably ship late August early september
I also didn't see he had the take off barrel when I put in my order, but you're right, thats a dang good price

Back