Motorcycle for hunting and street

Coyotejunki

I am looking to get a motorcycle for hunting nd also be able to take on the street. Not planning on a touring type bike, but I am a big guy, 6-1 and 250. Plan on a scabbard, rack, and whatever else I can fit on it reasonably.

Any suggestions?

A friend mentioned a KLR 650.

I had a Suzuki DR-650, would do the trick, used or new if still made. Those ‘Adventure Bikes’ would be nice, more $$ though.

Back in the day I started with a 100 Enduro, then a 250, Yamaha. I had a gun scabbard for one, if two, one could hold the gun(s) while cased.

I get by now with a CB-1100, mostly casual street riding.

Originally Posted By: redhazeLook at AWS's rig in the hunting forum, he has pictures of it. He lives in southern New Mexico.

I bought this bike a few weeks ago. It's a 2017 Honda CRF 250 L Rally. Only has 450 miles on it. I ordered some front and rear springs for it, the suspension is a bit week for a guy my size, plus extra gear. Ordered a rear rack also. Installed some barkbuster type hand-guards also. Been riding it some around the neighborhood, it is a fun little bike. I may be going past his town on my way to AZ shortly, may try it a little in the desert.

DuDB5w7m.jpg

I use a Yamaha TW200 for hunting. Here are some ideas since you just got a Honda.

I built the tail rack myself for hunting. The gun case slips through the tail rack and the front of the gun case is secured to the passenger foot peg. The action packer box mounts to the tail rack and has a 12 volt power plug inside for charging a cell phone and powering a USB cable to operate the GPS unit on the handle bars. The right side of the tail rack carries my predator calling folding chair or a small ice chest for small game hunting.

Factor in your skill level, and what sort of terrain you want to go over.

Models I recommend:

XR650L
DL650
DR650
DRZ400
KLR650

I had a gen-1 KLR650, and could take it anywhere.

I currently ride a KTM 500 EXC. I don’t hunt with it though. It’s my do-all trail bike, semi retired race bike.

I may not be as fast as I used to be, but I have a LOT of experience. Putting a lot of weight, mounted up high, really fouls up the CG of a bike. If you’re not an experience rider you could run out of talent very quickly. I prefer to hunt with my ATV. It carries more equipment, I don’t need to wear as much protection/armor, and I can glass from the seat.

The only advantage of the bike that I see is the ability to travel singletrack.

The one really great advantage of a MC over a ATV is you can drive it on the highway and don't have to piggyback it out to where your going to hunt. Took mine on a 200 mile fishing and camping trip last month.

Gqv5KF.jpg

The "Moose Racing" hand guards just velcro on over your brush guards and make a tremendous difference in keeping your hands warm when the temps are really low. I leave in the morning down into the low 20's and couldn't find a glove or mitten(elk hide choppers even) that would keep my hands from freezing at 50 mph with the hand guards they stay comfortable even in lighter gloves.

Last edited:
Nice Honda, that should get the job done. I would have wanted one like that but they were too tall for me.

The TW was a consideration when I was buying but I drove a half-dozen while looking and when I road the VV it just felt right. The Royal Enfield Himalaya was a real consideration also, when I get too old to run the dirt tracks on a bike I might get one to travel with. I really like thumpers. I drove a Matchless 500 when I was in college.

Back