Accurate 2230

pyscodog

I've never used it before and bought a pound to try in my 223AI. Any suggestions or comments from those of you that use it?? It seems to be in stock most of the time at the local store. If it works out, its not hard to get. Any load suggestions for the 223AI would be appreciated. Barrel is a 9 twist Lilja. Thanks

I shot a lot of it with 40 grainers, mostly V-Max at 27.4, 22" barrel with velocity around 3,500 fps, and very accurate in a 223 bolt action. Also shot a lot of 50 grainers (mostly V-Max again) in same rifle at 26.2 grains also velocity about 3,300 fps and very accurate, but not quite as fast as Benchmark at 26.5 grains.

In another 223 bolt-action (Savage model 12) with 26 inch barrel I shot a lot of it with 40 V-Max again mostly and some 40 Varmageddons at 27.3 grains. Velocity running about 3,750 and also very accurate again with some in .2, .3, and lots under .5 moa.

Currently shooting it in a 16" AR suppressed with 50 V-Max and 50 Speer TNT's at 26.6 grains and about 3,200 fps. Has not shown any pressure issue, but haven't shot it in hot weather. That is my coyote load. These loads have been safe in (my guns), and not recommending that anyone using this powder not do their own work-ups.

Sorry can't help with the 223AI loading, but gives you an idea of what has worked in 223.

I used to use it in several different .223's when I could get it. I haven't seen it in a while though. I don't remember all of my loads but I shot a lot of 60 and 62 grain bullets with 23 grains of 2230. Accurate and no issues.

Thanks Guys. Its my first time using it and just curious how it works. The guy at the store said he uses it and really liked it...but he's selling it as well. I have a Tikka 223 and my custom 223AI that I'll be trying it in. Thanks again.

I would not call it the ultimate accuracy powder. But you can push it pretty hard w/o getting pressure with the mid weight bullets.

I thought that would be the ultimate powder for NATO velocities in a 16 inch carbine with 55gr bullets. It really was not all that impressive.

Then i pushed it to the limit with 70gr Barnes TSX bullets. That was by far the fastest velocity i was able to achieve with that bullet. Accuracy was better than TAC.

Long time ago now. Now i use neither heavy copper bullets or ball powders if i can help it.

There is not a thing wrong with 2230. It's good stuff.
I load it about like h 335, maybe a bit less, it will do the same thing. If you can get it, buy it.

I've used a bunch of it in 223AI with 40's. A 26" ar barrel will spit 40's at 3850 with 28.5 gr of 2230. 24" barrel 3750 with the same load. Killed a lot of pdogs, and a few coyotes with that combo.

Seem to work pretty good when I got up on the upper end of my loads. No pressure signs so I may push it a little harder and see what happens.

A fast burn rate, lower burn temperature powder. No decoppering additives, but was reformulated to improve temp stability. Run 50-70 gr bullets. Should help reduce throat wear, especially if you don't trim brass short.

I used this to fire form my 6mm Mongoose brass with 87gr Hornady HP's and i'm a little sad that I don't have anymore to fire form, ha. It shot amazing. I did what you did and bought a lb because it was there. Last rifle powder on the shelf at my LGS for some reason. There are plenty of other powders I would pass on well before AA2230.

Back