shotgun reloading manual

I am looking for a reloading manual that covers all gauges all hulls and all powders all I can find is my rifle and pistol manuals I am sure when I buy one I will find mine lol use to load for shooting trap years ago and decided I would start loading for shotgun again.....thanks

I don't believe that there is one manual that covers every hull, wad, shot and powder combinations but there are some that covers a lot in different manuals.

Loadbook puts out manuals for each gauge with a lot of data from all the different manufactures.

"The Complete Reloading Manual for the 12ga Shotshell" is one I use for 12ga data.

Lyman also has a loading manual for all gauges. I have one but it has been so long since I've used it it is still missing since the move a couple years ago.

My goto for shotshell loading is Ballistic Product "Advantages" manual, it covers all gauges and lead, steel, heavyweight and ITX/Bismuth shot. They also have loads of vintage shotgun, low pressure and short shells which is it's main attraction for me as I shoot mostly oldtimers. Some of their loads are on the hot side so be carful trying to load as hot as you can. They cover a lot of hulls not covered by other books also. The biggest disadvantage to their manual is that it is basically for their wads, not a problem for me as I usually order their wads anyway.

Unlike rifle loading there are no over pressure signs in shotguns and changing components can change pressure significantly. Hulls are constructed differently also and load fitment is a problem encountered a lot.

Last edited:
The Lyman shotshell loading manual is the one I have that covers several guages. I suspect the Ballistics Products manual has a lot of loadings for their components. I don't know how much they emphasize other makers. The Lyman one is pretty good and covers the components you are likely to find at your LGS/sporting goods site.

I'm still a beginner at shot shell loading, but use the Lyman, BP Advantages, BP 16ga Manual. Also you can contact the powder mfg. and get good loads for their powders.

Thanks for all the comments I went with the Lyman manual I have a metal garbage can almost full of AA hulls I would like to get started on only have a couple hundred 209 primers have a few thousand small rifle and large pistol primers just can't find 209.....Trapperdoc

Back