Hog Smashing with the Grandson

Bowhntr6pt

My grandson is getting old enough to start joining me in the field. Of course I will be starting him off with the usual safety lessons and manual of arms for various rifles and pistols. Due to video games he has a good vocabulary of rifles and scopes and our FIRST lesson was these real firearms are not toys... AND we don't talk about Papa's guns to ANYONE... he needs to learn OPSEC as well.

I have established some ground rules at first and reinforced them constantly while we were in the field. Demonstrating how to handle a firearm, the four basic rules, as well as situational awareness such as someone not paying attention and walking in front of your muzzle. Which I knew he would do sooner than later in his excitement to run up on a supposedly dead animal. I also showed him how to approach a downed animal so as not to get hurt.

The hunt was spur of the moment so we were all in shorts and my son in law in flip flops lol. Basically, I figured we drive the ranch and pick off targets of opportunity. Wasn't long before we spotted our first group. I showed him how to use trees and bushes to mask your movements in order to get into the best position... this was out first kill of the afternoon...

A short drive and we came upon a group near a dug out pit. I managed to shoot three but one apparently made it into the swamp so we only recovered two that dropped in their tracks...

So, within an hour or so we covered a lot of information and the kid got some good exposure to gun safety, hunting safety, and how to stalk. Of course he will forget 90% and there will be reinforcement training. He had a great time and really loved riding in the bed of the truck.

My brother in law came to the house and picked up the hogs, he will be taking them to a gator farm. I hope to get my grandson in the tree stand this year but I'm not sure he will hold still very long... must be nice to have all that [beeep] energy lol.

That's the best part of having a grandson/ grandkids, taking them out in the woods and experiencing the thrills of hunting. Took my grandson on his first deer hunt last year and he got lucky and drew another deer tag this year.

Back