Got the new Kimber out

AdamT

Finally got my new to me Kimber Varmint 204 together in a manner I was satisfied with and lined it up. I took it out to a fresh cut hay field to watch for some groundhogs. Only action of the evening was a pair of skunks I let pass on by. I did take a couple photos.

51259850437_e356ac8038_o_d.jpg

51260576936_e6a8ca3dc5_o_d.jpg

I had originally bought a new VX3i 4.5-14x50 with 30mm tube from Midway. Had to send it back due to a manufacturing defect. Exchanged it for a like replacement and just couldn’t make myself like the 50mm objective on this rifle.

Sold it locally and ended up with a VX3i 6.5-20x40 30mm SF with a fine duplex. Much happier with this scope. I originally didn’t want to go with this high of power in case I took it calling, but it will see mostly groundhog duty and this one doesnt have the tall knobs so I went with it.

I put a Harris S25 on it and a buffalo hide leather sling on it and called it ready. The S25 model is about perfect. I have a S25C and it’s just a hair tall for prone and mainly use the SLM model but always extend them out. The 25 collapsed is about the same as the SLM extended but gives some extension to use it sitting.

Lined it up at 100 yd real quick off the bipod, shot a beanie weenee can at 200 yards and called it good. Hope to put it to use this summer on some whistle pigs.

I would have shot the skunks. They are turkey nest robbers. Nest predators are a serious issue for the declining turkey populations nationwide.

Nice rifle!

Went out again today, was able to double up. Story here in the varmint section. Doubled Up

I would normally shoot the skunks, but gave them a pass due to the nature of the landowner. She’s an older lady that takes particularly good care of the farm she grew up on and also what goes on there. Plus I didn’t want to make it stinky since it was relatively close to her house.

It is a good place to call coyotes, but it’s very hard to draw them across that much open terrain. Have done it a few times at night and only once or twice in daylight.

That's a sweet setup! I love the .204 cartridge. I feel like too many pass it over as a serious varmint/predator round. It has proved itself to me to be very capable out to 400 yds on coyotes. Prairie dogs don't stand a chance. It's a perfect varmint round in my opinion.

I agree with Acronin. The 17 Rem. has always been my favorite round, but the 204 is running neck and neck with it.

That is a great setup. The one I had in 204 was boring accurate. I have one in 223 and it just as accurate.
That is a nice piece of wood on your Varmint model.

Originally Posted By: GCI would have shot the skunks. They are turkey nest robbers. Nest predators are a serious issue for the declining turkey populations nationwide.

Nice rifle!

My thoughts exactly! I have ridden my woods of over 80 nuisance raccoons and 21 possum since last summer in hopes to bring back my turkey population. Coyotes are next on my list. It’s a non stop battle. I heard my first grouse drum this spring turkey season in almost 25 years. I heard him every day for about 3 weeks and then nothing. I did jump a female grouse a few days ago. She was within a few feet of me so I quietly walked away from the area in case her babies were hunkered down.

Last edited:
Thats one Beautiful Rifle...almost as pretty as my CZ-Varmint in a .204 caliber also.;)

What caliber bullet are You using?

I still have some factory 39 grain Sierra Blitz King ammo that im using...very accurate round and great knock-down power with very little hide damage on Coyotes.

Originally Posted By: GTOHunterThats one Beautiful Rifle...almost as pretty as my CZ-Varmint in a .204 caliber also.;)

What caliber bullet are You using?

I still have some factory 39 grain Sierra Blitz King ammo that im using...very accurate round and great knock-down power with very little hide damage on Coyotes.

I’ve been using the 32 gr Vmax. Works very well on the groundhogs.

Back