Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#3278400 - 06/17/21 12:19 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: Rock Knocker]
AWS Offline

Loc: NM
I've been seeeing more of the 4pks at Walmart at $24. They aren't lasting long but they are getting them.

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3278482 - 06/20/21 10:10 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: derbyacresbob]
204 AR Online
PM senior

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: derbyacresbob
Who has cheap promo shotgun shells in stock and how cheap are they?

Honestly the last I bought was around Christmas time locally for 65 a case of 250. I figured they'd dry up so snagged 2 or 3. I don't shoot a lot of clays but am kind of getting back into it. Last weekend I finished off the last 2 boxes of a case I bought in 07 for $25 a case lol.

#3278542 - 06/22/21 02:40 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: Rock Knocker]
cherokeetracker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Rock Knocker
I'm looking to get into reloading for the shotgun a bit, just a bit. More just for a backup ammo supply.

I've looked at that real cheap Lee reloaded and I think the MEC Jr. The Jr boasts 6 to 8 boxes of shells an hour, that's probably 5 to 7 more boxes of buckshot than I will go through in a year.

How simple can handloading be done? Are there other types of single stage presses? I'm not worried about single weighing powder or shot.

If you own a semi auto or some Pumps, then it may pay you greatly to look into a MEC Sizemaster (singlestage) or a 9000 (progressive)since those presses resize the brass portion of the shotshell. With a single shot or some double guns you might be able to get by with just a JR. You do want the shells to fit and function right?

That BS of so many boxes per hour is just that BS!!!! That's if everything is set up perfectly and nothing goes wrong. You almost never get the claimed amount. BUT! Don't let that stop you if you want to load your own.
Good luck on finding the components right now. I also recommend #4 buck over 00 buck. IMHO I have tested them both on several things. Search out the different wads for all kinds of loads. Spreaders to Turkey tight patterns,,, Test the loads out so that you know exactly what each one will do. Sometimes a gun will pattern better with a slightly reduced load, or a different size shot.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ This place can help if you can't get things locally.

#3278736 - 06/28/21 02:03 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: Rock Knocker]
Rock Knocker Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Buffalo, MN
Thanks cherokee, luckily ballistic products is local to me as well, I stopped in and talked to them a couple weeks ago. They're short on stuff also, I might start collecting the powder, buckshot and primers or whatever is most difficult to find before I make a final decision on the press but I will be loading for pumps and 3" shells are all I'm really interested in.

#3278737 - 06/28/21 02:35 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: Rock Knocker]
AWS Offline

Loc: NM
If your only loading a box or two of Buckshot. First buckshot won't meter through a press.

If your just planning to load new hulls you can get by with just a roll crimper and weigh your powder and shot with your metallic reloading scale. You really don't need a press unless you are reloading fired hulls. New hulls will come primed already.

My roll crimping set up. I made the little shell clamp out of some plastic and hardware store springs because I load quite a bit of roll crimped ammo. A padded set of channel locks will work also. BP make a little shell holder for roll crimping plus they have roll crimpers, I have 16ga, 12ga and 10ga roll crimpers from them.

Finished product

Edited by AWS (06/28/21 02:53 PM)

Make mine a Minaska.

Heaven has rules and walls, He-l has open borders

#3279382 - 07/18/21 05:57 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: Rock Knocker]
Rock Knocker Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Buffalo, MN
Awesome AWS, thats more what I was looking for...

#3279389 - 07/18/21 07:29 PM Re: The minimalist shotshell reloader? [Re: Rock Knocker]
pyscodog Online
PM Junkie

Loc: okla
I started shooting skeet again so I dug out the Mec. I just timed myself and can load 25 rounds start to finish in 12 minutes. Not bad for an old fart. They load and shoot great in my shotty. I just seem to be the weak link.

Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.